• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR33 Where is it?

Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it me or AIR33 Beta is delayed? We are a few days before April and there is no beta version yet. It looks like the 1st quarter release is missed.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

The announcement has been made. Harman - Adobe Partnership - HARMAN

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 302 Replies 302
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know for Google official limit (android 64 bit) we have just 4 months to update our applications?

Do you know all air apps crash on android Q?

I think these are reasons that we have to consider that and we are looking for Air 33

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yoonesm68067284  wrote

Do you know for Google official limit (android 64 bit) we have just 4 months to update our applications?

Do you know all air apps crash on android Q?

I think these are reasons that we have to consider that and we are looking for Air 33

and so what? you are here doubting the capacity of a professional team of dev when you don't know the basic about software release

it is always the same thing "bouh bouh bouh thing is not working under this and that"
except that "this" or "that" are BETA

is Android Q a final release or a beta release?
it is perfectly normal to not update your own software that depends on other software

when this other software is only in the state of BETA

you update when it get out of beta because then you know your effort not gonna be wasted

so yeah you may tinkle a little bit with it but basically you wait for the GM release (Gold Master)

every single software vendor will tell you the same thing

WE DO NOT RECOMMEND RELEASING APPS BASED ON PRERELEASE

IF YOU CHOSE TO RELEASE YOUR APPS USING BETA VERSIONS
YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISKS

a prerelease or preview or beta is there to test the software "in the wild"
it is expected to be unstable, to have issues and bugs and errors, etc.

that's why you have different categories of releases
ALPHA - expect it to crash
BETA - expect it to have bugs
GOLD MASTER - expect it to be stable or "no known bugs"

so check out Android Q , read under "General Advisories"

Support and Release Notes  |  Android Developers

can you read in bold "some apps may not function as expected" ?

in short you're complaining that BETA software is not stable like a a GM release
which, in my book, is stupid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, well, the usual troll at these forums! The same guy that trolled to no end about dropping support for hybrid 32+64 bit iOS apps for no good reason about a year ago. Luckily, the Adobe AIR team didn't listen to you, and support is still available.

Now you troll again just because people complain that Adobe is missing their deadlines. Well, it's perfectly reasonable to complain about this. We're on April 12th already and no sign of a new major AIR release, which they usually do quarterly, and a slowing down of version releases is a bad sign when Google will stop accepting 32-bit only apps on the Play Store in just a few months and there's still no word from Adobe of when can we expect to have such support.

You're excusing them just because Android Q is BETA (in all caps). Well, the point of a BETA release of an Operating System is precisely to test software that runs on it before the final version of the OS is finally deployed. Also, according to your own "rules" about beta software, we can expect to get bugs with a beta, but not a full app CRASH at startup!

Probably AIR apps crash not because it's a beta OS but because of important changes in the OS which will make AIR apps crash in the final version as well! The Adobe team should fix these crashes before the OS is deployed to users! And the final version of Android Q will be published on August 2019 as well!

So all problems will happen at once if AIR is not updated (no support for 32-bit only apps in the Play Store plus ALL Adobe AIR apps crashing at startup on the latest version of Android, everything on the same month).

What you say about "it is perfectly normal to not update your own software that depends on other software when this other software is only in the state of BETA" is not applicable to Operating Systems. Both Apple and Google release beta versions of their OSes so software developers can test their software BEFORE the OS is deployed to the end users.

If all developers waited for the final version of the OS without testing anything in advance, then they could face catastrophic results such as crashing apps at startup when people massively update when the OS comes out publicly. That's what's happening with Adobe AIR and Android Q, and it's not because it's a beta. Beta versions of Operating Systems are pretty stable software, especially when we are only a few months away from the Final Release. The final version of Android Q will probably differ very little from the beta version. It's Adobe the ones that should work on fixing the problems before the beta goes final!

We can't just say "nah, it's a beta OS so that's why they crash" and trust that AIR apps won't crash in the final version. Actually, the most likely situation is they'll keep crashing in the final version if nothing is done about it, because it's only AIR apps that crash at startup, not ALL apps that run on Android Q, so Google won't fix that.

Also, the bug tracker issue about the lack of 64-bit support in Adobe AIR for Android was published 3 months ago and NOBODY from the Adobe AIR team has replied even if just to drop a lousy one liner saying "we're working on it" or whatever. NOTHING! This is completely unacceptable, and it's perfectly normal that people are concerned about the future of AIR and complain about it.

Tracker

Please stop trolling these forums. You're never helpful and you just waste other people's time with your trolling posts where you only say nonsense while also being rude to other forum members. If anything, it should be YOU the one who should "get a life", as you say, instead of wasting your time in importunating members of a forum of a professional tool with perfectly valid complaints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He's not trolling, he just never got over the self inflicted breakup with the sexy little beast that is Flash/Adobe Air. I do suffer from that a little bit myself. I admit that I come here to see if what I think is gonna happen - an actual announcement from adobe about the EOL of the platform - is actually happening. Once you think this is whats likely, you can't help but read into things.

Nonetheless, i'll be still sad if and when it happens. It will bring me no joy .. so what am I doing here ? .. ah yes .. that sexy little beast .. never got over it really ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have often in these forums talked about the end of AIR and how ineluctable I thought it was but I always said Adobe will announce it and then it'll take a few years before they actually pull the plug.

But what is actually going on, with no AIR33 release and the Android deadlines coming up makes me think that I might have been too optimistic and maybe the AIR team is already giving up and gonna let us all down this year. If that happens that would be the first time Adobe does something I did not see coming.

If anyone still thinks the future of AIR is guarantied (and there are still many who do) then this should be your wake up call.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer a more respectful and friendly atmosphere here. It's fine for you that you are a real professional but allow other with limited skills (if so) also to communicate here without being attacked. Thank you!

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a AIR33 because that's what the AIR team HAS ALWAYS DONE, period. Your excuses and other pseudo software version principle courses don't apply and are irrelevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

There should be a AIR33 because that's what the AIR team HAS ALWAYS DONE, period. Your excuses and other pseudo software version principle courses don't apply and are irrelevant.

since when you decide what an other team do things?

get a life LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[offtopic]

Has anyone thought of it from another point of view? Yeah, I know perfectly well that reality is what it is, but I do not understand how it is possible for developers to let these situations pass without complaining about the "real problem" ...

I do not understand the business they have set up with the app stores for devices. It is pure dictatorship. Very often things change that breaks "any" technology. It is a market without stability. You have to be aware of the frequent changes in technology of each mobile OS, of every change in the policies of both Apple and Google ...

Describing a simile. It is as if we develop an application (of any type) for desktop and it is not allowed to work because it turns out that a series of companies or people carry out a censorship of parts that they "do not like". And turn the wheel to start and stick with them to approve your application ... But this does not happen on desktop, thank God. We have total freedom (the normal, the logical).

But the only way to distribute device apps is through their "app stores" ... Is this a viable way to make a living ?.

Sincerely, I am happy for those who have managed to make a living with apps distributed in device stores, but in our programming department we do not see this way of working viable. Its not a good business model. It is only convenient for Apple and Google. And for a lucky few who have worked a lot in some application and have been lucky enough to sell many copies.

We work on multimedia for desktop executables, in html5 responsive + canvas for browser developments. And occasionally on apps on controlled Android devices for occasional events (Apple iOS is much restrictive ... dictatorship again) easily installing any application (doing what we want).

App stores are a headache. That is not business. Developers should go out to protest en masse, not letting the matter pass like easily manipulated people.

Maybe at some point in the future there will be another way to distribute applications for devices. A more flexible (and logical) way for the developer. Until that moment arrives I wish you luck (with any technology).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I am a co-founder of an award wining mobile agency, I will reply to the concerns / thoughts about mobile. I have been doing mobile since 2009 (even back in the blackberry days). You get in the game by accepting that the companies behind the stores control the market and you have to play with their rules. You do that, cause they give you access to a huge userbase. What this means is that for example, one of our apps, made enough revenue, to sustain our company for 2 years even if we didn't publish anything. You can have huge success, but you have to deal with google and apples dictatorship.

As you say, things change all the time. To be exact multiple times per year, but this is something we know and have solutions, especially when we do native apps, react native, flutter or unity. As you understand, this is a bit harder with AIR as we always fly blind.

So my point is, that this wasn't build with developers in mind. This was build by big companies to make money, by giving us a distribution channel. Don't expect them to change.

Back to AIR, people who don't see that losing the quarter release, is a big red flag, are plain ignorant. Also for people who may be confused from the 32bit / 64 situation. In August 1st, the issue is not that we won't be able to update our apps. The issue is that from August 1st, all apps which are not 64bit, won't appear in the Play Store for 64devices (99% of current devices). So basically all our AIR apps, will be suspended. Just to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that from August 1st, all apps which are not 64bit, won't appear in the Play Store for 64devices (99% of current devices). So basically all our AIR apps, will be suspended. Just to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Only after August 2021. Before that, 32bits apps will still be served to 64bits devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to check again the documentation, so technically what you say it is true. 32bit apps won't be removed, but we won't be able to provide updates without including a 64bit version.

Starting August 1, 2019:

• All new apps and app updates that include native code are required to provide 64-bit versions in addition to 32-bit versions when publishing to Google Play.
  • Extension: Google Play will continue to accept 32-bit only updates to existing games that use Unity 5.6 or older until August 2021.

Android Developers Blog: Get your apps ready for the 64-bit requirement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This make perfect sense.

For who need more time to change framework, don't see his/her the Apps goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I know that app stores generate another business opportunity ... But it only generates it for "some" who have some luck. Entering "the game" of app stores does not produce a mathematical benefit. And on the way you find yourself with more problems than in another type of technology business.

I understand your particular case, but it is probably different from that of a majority, which probably have to develop other things besides what they have in the app stores. (in the end you're left wondering if it's really worth the app store)

There are other businesses in the technological field.

As for Adobe AIR, as I mention, we are lucky not to work for app stores. Therefore we are happy with what solves us for that other type of targets. It is one of the differences between one type of business and another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said early: "3..2..1.. for the end of the world (on this foruns)"

As I said before:

1. Web: HTML, period;

2. Desktop: AIR it's a pretty available option like many other options because Desktop it's stable and there are no "dictatorship" (as I read here);

3. Mobile: AIR it's probably the most "productive" runtime ever, even in maintenance mode on the past few years (don't try to argue that, because if you do, you are a fool) but we all live with that.

The issue is, Mobile requires a productive entity maintenance the runtime all the time, period and on that field, AIR (or better who support it), could not be the worst ever !

Even if we get an updated before August, the issue will happen again any time soon.

The best solution is to stay far from AIR on Mobile scope or you if are a gambler that it's the best option, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not criticizing your English, you are obviously not a native English speaker, but most of what you say doesn't make any sense even after reading very carefully every single sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously

I'm glad that you tried

Means that you are really interested in what I have to say

Tip: Use the automatically translate if you can understand what I just wrote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that hferreira80's English, while not perfect, is completely understandable. What is the part you don't understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image are worth a thousand wordstroll_bingo.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zwetan_uk  escribió

image are worth a thousand wordstroll_bingo.png

Well, after this "nice" picture from Zwetan, I can rest my case. Mocking sentences from other fellow forum members? You really do have a lot of time in your hands. As I said, it's definitely you the one that should "get a life", as you put it. Although I think you're not just a troll, but also a blind defender of everything Adobe does. I noticed that among the sentences you reproduced in your picture, one of them was never said by anyone of us in this forum thread: "FUD". So are you trying to tell us something? Do you really think all the people complaining here about Adobe's lack of feedback in the latest months is just doing so for the sake of spreading FUD ("Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt") about Adobe AIR so people move to another platform? Really?

Most people in these forums, including myself, are long time Flash and AIR developers, with a lot of years on our backs working with these technologies, so we are the first ones that wouldn't want to scare people away from AIR. But at the same time, it's perfectly reasonable to find this complete lack of communication from Adobe a bit worrisome, to say the least, and speak about it. In case you don't know, at the beginning of this year, Adobe retired funding for the 2 most important libraries for Adobe AIR: Starling and Feathers. That alone should be enough to ring some alarms, so couple that with the complete silence not only from the Adobe AIR developers, but also people such as Chris Campbell, who used to help us communicate with the AIR team when issues arised, and things start looking pretty bad. It's as most if people working for Adobe AIR were either fired or relocated to other projects, so now the AIR team is probably tiny and with no time to even drop a line to say "we're working on this issue".

People complaining about this situation are not the enemy, they're not trying to spread "FUD", just worried about the future of AIR. Defending that Adobe being silent for months on end and skipping major version releases is perfectly normal, and saying that they should not test AIR with a beta version of an Android OS that's due to be publicly distributed as final version in just 3 months just because it's a beta (when OS beta releases are actually meant to test compatibility of the software that runs on the OS ahead of its public release!) is just turning a blind eye to reality (you can add this expression to your "troll bingo" if you like and don't have anything better to do).

Have a nice day.

P.S: BTW, the reason all AIR apps crash at startup with Android Q is not because it's a beta. They crash because they use the long ago deprecated WORLD_READABLE file attribute setting, which has now been completely removed from Android Q. So it crashes NOT because the beta of Android Q is unstable. It's because AIR is using a deprecated attribute, so that will also happen in the final version of Android Q as well, due this very summer!! If Adobe doesn't fix this, ALL apps will crash at startup in the latest Android. But you can keep saying nonsense stuff such as "they should not test with the Android beta because it's not production software" all you like if it makes you feel better or smarter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG if this wasn't so sad I'd say this is one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while.  Maybe some folks are "trolling" but there's also something called a fanboy.

All the theories of where it is, when it's coming, is it coming--all speculation.  You can base it on the moon or some schedule or rational you want--whichever.

For my business interests I obvs can't accept the risk beyond the 4 month Android drop dead date.

FWIW, I believe I understood every intent from the non English speaker.  [EDIT: had to fix my own typo yet English native.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understood that you understood what I mean, lol !!!

In a way, you were also "trolling"

Back to the topic, I believe the best to do is look to other options out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"We are aware and working on it"

this is the hardest statement for Adobe in this days!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries mate, I bet adobe air team is working on it, this is why they don't reply to anything or release anything (as some people say in here..)

Unfortunately due to the stupidity / handling of the issue, my company decided to leave AIR and all new project will be made in Flutter an electron. Only legacy apps will remain in AIR, until they are completely retired.

The decision was made due to the fact that we have about 5 months before Android Q is officially released and 3 months before the 64bit restriction and we still have no reply from adobe that they will fix the issues. Out of respect for our more than 2million users, we are migrating everything. Sad days..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines