Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Android APK Expansion Files for Apps over 50MB

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Support,

We are building a new version of an app pubished on PlayStore (built with Adobe AIR) and need to embed higher resolution images. This results in my app apk file size which is over 100 MB.

Google allows to upload apks that are <= 50 MB. For apps which require more storage capacity than this limit, expansion files are needed.

Can you please inform us about how to incorporate these expansion files with an AIR app?

Is there a native extension or a built-in feature to prepare the expansion files and surpass the limit?

I've looked in the forums & there is no definite answer or solution.

If this is not possible at present, can you please add it to the wishlist for the next version of Adobe AIR SDK? Or perhaps, release a free/paid native-extension which enables this.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wolfgang Klopf wrote:

Yes, this extension runs only on Android devices.

For $60, I would expect it includes a 'default' implementation so that we don't constantly need to remove the extension everytime we need to build for iOS or Desktop.

Can you confirm??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No default implementation included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wolfgang Klopf wrote:

No default implementation included.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Could you add it? It would only take a few minutes to add a default, and would literally be the difference between us buying it or not. It's just so much easier to work with multiple platforms smoothly.

Not having default means constantly having to switch publish settings in FlashBuilder each time we want to debug on device instead of desktop, which adds up to a lot of wasted time. Pretty much all commercially available ANE's include a default implementation.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right that I should add a default implementation. I hope I can find the time to add it within the next few days. I keep you updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sweet, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ANE now includes a default implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, purchasing right now, thanks for the quick update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got everything working except the download process.

No matter what I try and do, the download always fails, and I get a notification "Download failed because the resource can  not be found."

I have added the expansion pack to the APK, I have left the APK in draft mode, and also tried a seperate id using a published 'beta' version, and no matter what I try I can't seem to get this download to kick off.

I've triple-checked the license key and it's definately correct.

Pretty much at a loss... any ideas? From what I can tell, if your app is in "Draft" mode, the expansion should be available for download right away? Or do I need to wait a few hours...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2014 Feb 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The download of your OBB file should cause no problems but after uploading the file it takes some time until it will be available for download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Wolfgang, the download is working fine today, I guess it just takes some time.

Now I'm hitting a strange issue, where any files I try and retrieve are always null. The exact same code was working yesterday, I've tried a "-dump" on the OBB, and it's containing all the correct files. Have you ever seen this behavior?

The only change I can think of is that we changed the package name to "com.treefortress.Bardbarian" from "com.treefortress.bardbarian". Is it possible the extension has a bug related to upper-case characters in package ids?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now I am not getting any events at all after calling files.getStatus(), I make the call, and no event is fired at all into the handler. It's doing this on two different devices...

Man, this just isn't my day, not a single thing has gone right or smoothly... starting to question my sanity over here 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now I am not getting any events at all after calling files.getStatus()

Does this happen when you test your app locally?

When you're testing the app with the OBB locally it is important that you first put the OBB on your device and after that install the APK.

Each time you test a new APK version you have to first delete the OBB and put it again on your testing device. After that install the APK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to follow up on this, as I wasn't totally insane.

On some devices, I don't get any progress or error events after calling startDownload(). The exact same code that works on my Nexus 7 never works on the HTC One.

So I just had to add a small timeout, if nothing happens in 10 seconds, it manually dispatches an error event.

I was also able to architect the expansion pack to be optional (HD Textures), so if it can't be downloaded, the game will just boot up with SD textures and still be full playable. Hopefully I don't have to add much more as we're sitting at 49mb

Thanks Wolfgang!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

I'm sorry that you had problems with the ANE but I'm glad you've found a solution for your app.

I've tested the ANE without any problems on the following devices:

HTC Desire - Android 2.3.3

LG - Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 - Android 4.4.2

Asus - Nexus 7 - Android 4.4.2

Sony Xperia Go - Android 4.1.2

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Android 4.0.4

Usually during the initial installation the expansion file and the apk are loaded together and automatically. Is it required for the HTC One that startDownload() is called even when the user loads the app from the store?

Best

Wolfgang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, I'm sure it's just some Android stupidness.

Everything does work fine whn downloading the app from the store, so it's just a small edge case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Wolfgang, some minor polish issues I'm seeing:

1. When loading, I'm see two Android spinners, off centered, and it doesn't look too great.

2. When using in LOW_PROFILE Fullscreen mode (SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_LOW_PROFILE), this extension pops me out of LOW_PROFILE and puts me back in normal FULLSCREEN mode. So I need to manually switch back each time a window has closed.

Not sure if these are fixable, and they're not a big deal, but I thought I may as well report them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

thanks for your feedback.

Point 1. sounds strange. I'm not setting any spinners and I don't see where the used Google packages would do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[EDIT] Sorry Wolfgang, I got my wires crossed with this one. ignore the issues, it's related to something else.

Thank's again for the great plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

thanks, that reliefed me

I was just looking and I had no clue where these spinner would come from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha I need sleep man. Sorry again for the false alarm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no worries

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi! I wanted to ask you if the extension is working with APK files I exported from Adobe Air. I created an app that is over 50MB and now I am thinking of creating a loader app that will be used as the main APK and downloads my "real" app, which will be an obb file. In this case, what will be downloaded will actually be a second APK with my app. Is this what you guys do with the extension or you use it to download and append assets?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shawn,

Is it possible the extension has a bug related to upper-case characters in package ids?

no, there exists no upper case character bug.

It is important when you create your OBB files that the package name matches the app package name.

For example:

<versionNumber>1.1</versionNumber>

<id>com.treefortress.Bardbarian<id>

JOBB command (with Air prefix)

jobb -pn air.com.treefortress.Bardbarian -pv 1 -o directory/main.1001000.air.com.treefortress.Bardbarian.obb.......

When you create a new OBB file and upload it to Google Play it is important that the version number of the obb file (main | patch.1001000) must match app version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was testing on an emulator, not the device. I will try device now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines