Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Android Theme.AppCompat usage

Participant ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we are using simple AltertDialog for our game (source), but for featuring, Google don't like it and as a result of review they write us:

Regarding the use of the outdated theme (Holo UI), yes we would require that all activities to inherit from Theme.AppCompat, Theme.Material, or one of their descendants. All native UI elements must use styles from the Material/AppCompat palette (e.g. Widget.Material…, Widget.AppCompat... or ?android:attr/...). Failing to adopt the new theming or design patterns can cause users to perceive the app as dated or non-standard.

Is anybody there already using the modern themes? Do I understand it well, that I must include the support library (with dependencies) and all the resources? It looks like quite bloat as it could be several MB just for simple yes/no dialogs:/

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use the latest dialogs ANE from Distriqt. That way you can have the latest device theme. However, you need 2-3 extra dependencies for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The thing is, that I want to avoid need to include all the JARs and XMLs, if they are not needed. We use system dialog just when user press BACK button, which Google wants us to use to quit the game, or when game is going to open web or app store page. It could be done as a dialog directly in AIR, but than we would need to take care of rendering of the multilingual texts, which we wanted to avoid.

So far it looks, I could just include AppCompat resources without classes (which is like 606kB) and use these as a base theme for the dialog. Still I have a very bad feeling of it, because the dialog is just 1 or 2 sentences with yes and no buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines