Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Android x86 works by default?

Advocate ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

with the recent adding of x86 support for Android, I decided to buy an Android x86 tablet for testing (Dell Venue 7, specifically). I was surprised to find that my app can be downloaded from Google Play already and works without notable errors. The app is packaged with a captive runtime and I never made any changes to support x86 architectures. Is it not necessary to create an apk specifically for x86 devices? That is at least what I read in the Adobe guidelines.

Thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Apps compiled for ARM work on x86 Android devices (probably via emulation) at reduced speed. I compared my app's performance on a cheap Asus 7" tablet and the difference is visible.

Providing 2 sets of binaries is a bit annoying though, I wish Adobe would make 'universal binaries' for Android too (it is possible to have both architectures on the same APK).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apps compiled for ARM work on x86 Android devices (probably via emulation) at reduced speed. I compared my app's performance on a cheap Asus 7" tablet and the difference is visible.

Providing 2 sets of binaries is a bit annoying though, I wish Adobe would make 'universal binaries' for Android too (it is possible to have both architectures on the same APK).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, you are right. I compiled for x86 and the performance boost is clearly visible. Big minus: Adobe Vibration ANE does not support Android-x86, yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ArmandN, do you have any advice about how to even upload 2 different binaries to Google Play? I don't seen an option for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 22, 2015 Feb 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Google Play console, enable extended mode for uploading apk and upload both apks. Make sure the x86 version has a higher version number than ARM so that devices that support both processors take advantage of the faster x86 versions as described in this article: http://blogs.adobe.com/airodynamics/2014/06/26/versioning-of-multiple-apks-for-android/

You don't have to make any other settings, Google Play is able to identify the required architecture based on the apk and automatically deliver the correct one to the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines