Exit

browseForImage() Portrait Landscape issues

Explorer ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Building with Air2.6

Using Adobe's example

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flash/media/CameraRoll.html

I have a landscape app and when I call browseForImage() the image browser always comes up in portrait mode. 

<fullScreen>true</fullScreen>

<autoOrients>false</autoOrients>

<aspectRatio>landscape</aspectRatio>

After selecting an image everything is still in landscape mode.  Is the cameraRoll browsing view supposed to be landscape if the app is in landscape?  I've tried setting autoOrients to true.  No change.

When loading in an image from camera roll, Portrait images always come in sideways.  This does not seem to matter if the aspectRatio is set to landscape or portrait.

Is there some programatic way to know if an image is portrait or not?  Looking at loader.content.width & height is out because the bitmap data is apparently always wider than it is tall. 

Any one else having these issues?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the images you're trying photos or screen shots? iOS itself seems to know that a photo was taken landscape, but it can't cope with a screen shot for example, those are all considered portrait.

If you are finding that a portrait photo still comes in on its side, then maybe you need to add a rotation feature, which would also sort out the problem when bringing in screen shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots load just fine.  They are portrait but they don't come in sideways.  It appears to only happen to photos I take with the phone.  You are correct that iOS seems to know weather or not an image is portrait or not. 

If this is just the way things are, I have no problem making a rotation feature, but I have no programatic way to know if an image is supposed to be portrait or not except by having a user looking at it.  It seems kinda lame to require the user to rotate the image after I load it in when iOS seems to already know how it should be oriented.  I mean it shows up oriented correctly in the CameraRoll view.  I just don't know why I'm not getting in the loader the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just examine the EXIF data in the JPEG. See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/800670

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines