• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing screen resolution in Windows app?

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm releasing an AIR game for Windows soon, and was wondering if there's any way to change the user's screen resolution.

From what I've seen, there's no ANE for this, and no built in way to do this. I'd like to give the user resolution options, as is the norm in PC games, and my game is unlikely to run smoothly in very high resolutions.

I'm using HTMLLoader to load the game SWF into a wrapper SWF, as this allows me to use the now defunct LOW and MEDIUM stage quality settings. But this causes difficulties with fullscreen scaling. If I go into fullscreen from the game SWF, the "You are now entering fullscreen mode" pop-up appears, as if the game were in a browser, and looks very unprofessional. If I go into fullscreen from the wrapper SWF, I cannot use the stage.fullScreenSourceRect object for resolution scaling, as it doesn't seem to effect the game SWF. Unless I'm missing something, I really can't think of any elegant solution besides changing the user's screen resolution.

Thanks.

Update: I'm currently trying out a program called Qres.exe to change the resolution. It seems to work - my game can launch it and use it to change the screen resolution.
I can imagine some problem situations, such as a user having multiple monitors, or the game crashing and not changing the resolution back. But I think this may be a satisfactory solution unless I run into other problems...

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried it myself, but AIR 31 did add new ScreenMode APIs, where you can set resolution and get a list of compatible resolutions the display can use.  The Release Notes for AIR 31 has more info about it under "Screen Mode Configuration for AIR Desktop":

Release Notes Flash Player 31 AIR 31

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice, did they add this feature after beta? I completely missed that they added this in Air 31.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines