Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deploy to Windows Phone 8 using Scaleform

Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

as maybe some of you already know, Autodesk offers Scaleform as a way to use ActionScript inside larger projects. The list of supported platforms now also includes a Windows Mobile SDK and the pricing options seem reasonably low. I wrote an email to Autodesk to ask if it would be possible to port a complete ActionScript game to Windows Phone 8 using Scaleform, this is their reply:

Hello Ruben,

Yes the Scaleform SDK supports Window Phone, so the developer can play a Flash game on WP8 using Scaleform.  Adobe Air would not be used. We don’t have specific indie pricing at this time but we may have an offering that would interest you:

http://www.autodesk.com/store/scaleform-mobile-windows-phone-8

Which is for consumers and far cheaper than the commercial version. No support is included, though there are forums you can peruse. Also it’s only version 4.2.

http://gameware.autodesk.com/trials

Kind Regards,

So this actually seems to be worth a tryout. Did anyone already use it and has a story to share?

Thanks,

Ruben

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

During month they will update scaleform to 4.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Air would not be used, but would ANEs be reusable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my understanding Scaleform would not support any ANEs, but you could add any additional functionality natively outside of the Flash project in Scaleform. So technically similar to ANEs, but you would have to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaleform Mobile SDK support only native code via ExternalInterface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you used it Anton? Does it work for a complete game/application? Does it support Starling / Stage3D? What about performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This game fully done in Flash but published using Scalform Tiny Thief on the App Store on iTunes

Performance is better than Adobe Air because Autodesk developed it not for free I used Scaleform and it's ok. But I preferred Adobe Air in many cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a look at Scaleform but it's still a bit confusing.

It looks like Scaleform was intended to use Flash for fancy UI integrated in larger games.

I downloaded the Mobile SDK 4.2 for Windows Phones but nothing is working. Do I need to download other Scaleform SDK components first?

How do you compile a swf into a windows phone game?

I have a game that might work (I can remove all AIR & ANE features; though it should support SharedObject and sockets)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2014 Jul 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Scaleform's roots are definitely in UIs for games, I remember it being used in games a long time ago, before AIR was even around. (Gskinner made a standard component set for Scaleform back in the day.)

The rendering capabilities are very impressive, basically how I wish AIR renderMode=GPU worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines