• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Good tutorials for objective C?

Participant ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone here refer me to some good tutorials for learning objective C? (targeting iOS)

Thx.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have ask this in Apple Developer Center, not in Adobe forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me clarify: I'm asking for opinions from the perspective of those who are used to programming with Actionscript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are free video courses online from Stanford that are pretty good.

Search in iTunes U for "Xcode".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flexercised wrote:

http://techotopia.com/index.php/IOS_iPhone_iPad_eBooks

http://www.raywenderlich.com/tutorials

If you want an alternative to flash/air you should use Cocos2d.

raywenderlich.com covers this as well as CocosBuilder.

Thanks. Ray's site is definitely bookmarked. Currently "enrolled" in the Stanford University series on iTunes U.

Basically, I'm coming to the realization that with all the exorbitant time I'm spending writing code to deal with AIR's iOS bugs and shortcomings*, my time would be much better spent just learning the native language for the platform.

(* Native video player bugs, lack of native scroll, alerts, etc... and all the trials and circumstances that come with trying to tie in a bunch of ANE extensions to bring in such basic OS functionality... It's just gotten ridiculous)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really depends what you want to do. If you want to program native business applications for iOS, AS3 is obviously not the right choice. If you want to do Rich-Media crossplatform applications, you're much better of with AS3 than developing a couple of native applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

poltergeist_ wrote:

It really depends what you want to do. If you want to program native business applications for iOS, AS3 is obviously not the right choice. If you want to do Rich-Media crossplatform applications, you're much better of with AS3 than developing a couple of native applications.

I'd argue it doesn't really matter if you're developing cross-platform or not; AS3/AIR for iOS not only becomes much more work than need be, the app is much less stable and presentable as a professional level app. (and I'm developing multimedia app, not a business application, BTW). I guess after all is said and done, I really feel like I'm building a house of cards with AIR for iOS.

When AIR requires using and manipulating stageWebView just so you can have native scroll behavior, when you have to rely on multiple third-party ANEs for basic iOS UI which may or may not get updated as each new OS rolls out, when Adobe ignores or brushes aside important bugs or dismisses the inclusion of core iOS features simply because they aren't also available on Android....

I really like the Actionscript language. It's really easy to understand and great for those of us without a degree in Computer Science. But Adobe needs to get serious about supporting iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I think you are really mistaken about what Air is doing. It is specifically *NOT* designed to provide native functionality. It is designed to show media content on a lot of different platforms. And it does this, naturally, by cutting features that are platform specific.

I have a game with roughly 100.000 registered users that come from web, Android and iOS. And Air is doing a great job in freeing me from platform specifics and saving my time. (Its stable on iOS btw). If you need native UI, then dont use a cross-platform solution, because thats where they (all) fall short, and thats what Air is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

poltergeist_ wrote:

No, I think you are really mistaken about what Air is doing. It is specifically *NOT* designed to provide native functionality. It is designed to show media content on a lot of different platforms.

Well, users (and Apple) expect a certain functionality to be present that is global across all apps for a particular platform. Scroll behavior for text, orientation changes, etc.. I disagree that "cross-platform" means you're expected to "roll your own" UI interface and behavior. Especially for the basics!

I suppose games are much easier to deal with in this regard, because you build your UI based on the game theme, but for anything and everything else, you really need to build-in a faux OS UI. The UIWebView ANE, at least, has been a life-saver in regards to handling video and text properly on iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines