• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad Pro Launch Image Issues

Engaged ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will there be any updates to fix issues with iPad Pro launch images to support its native resolution, rather than the device running the lower 2x Retina resolution?

To clarify, here are the issues:

1.  Adobe mentions to resize the @2X~ipad images to be the native resolution (2048x2732), which does work if you include no other launch images, but this does not work if you also add a Default~ipad.png to handle standard-resolution iPads.  When you do this, the iPad Pro reverts to normal iPad Retina resolution (1536x2048).

2. If you resize the @2X~iPad for the higher iPad Pro resolution, the other Retina iPads will not show any launch image at all.  The Retina iPads would normally use this 2x launch image, but since the resolution doesn't match it just ignores the launch image completely.  This happens regardless of any other launch images you add.

Again, Adobe's solution only works if you don't want any launch images for any other resolution/device besides the iPad Pro.

This is happening in the latest release AIR 22.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2016 Aug 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I tried reproducing the issue at my end using iPad Pro (iOS 9. x) and AIR 22 latest build:

Please refer to the below combinations that I tried out:

1. a. Default-Landscape~ipad.png (1024*768)

b. Default-Portrait~ipad.png (768*1024)

c. Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png (2732*2048)

d. Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png (2048*2732)

Packaged the application with above launch images and it works fine on iPad pro. The application is picking launch image of dimension 2048*2732 for iPad Pro.

2. a. Default~ipad.png (1536*2048)

b. Default@2x~ipad.png (2048*2732)

Packaged the application with above launch images and again it works fine on iPad pro. The application is picking launch image of dimension 2048*2732 for iPad Pro.

Could you please help us further with other information as which iOS version you are using at your end. Please list all the launch images that you are packaging with the ipa.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2016 Aug 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, here are the launch image sizes I'm using, and what I'm seeing in two different scenarios.  This is a universal app, so there are launch images for both platforms included:

- Default~iphone.png (320 x 480)

- Default@2x~iphone.png (640 x 960)

- Default-375w-667h@2x~iphone.png (750 x 1334)

- Default-414w-736h@3x~iphone.png (1242 x 2208)

- Default-568h@2x~iphone.png (640 x 1136)

- Default~ipad.png (768 x 1024)

- Default-Portrait~ipad.png (768 x 1024)

- Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png (2048 x 2732)

The app is packaged with the latest AIR 22, set to only run in Portrait orientation, and tested on devices running iOS 9.3.x.

1)  When I test on an iPad Pro, the app is running at 1536 x 2048 (despite none of the launch images being sized for that).

2)  When I test on an iPad with Retina display, I don't see any launch image at all, though the app does run at 1536 x 2048.

If I only include the largest launch image (Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png at 2048 x 2732) it does correctly use that resolution on the iPad Pro (though the iPad with Retina still fails to show any launch image at all), but once I've added these other launch images it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I tried with a sample application and packaged it using all the launch images that you mentioned.

I am using the below code in my sample application made through Animate CC to get the resolution of my application:

import flash.system.Capabilities;

trace(Capabilities.screenResolutionX);

trace(Capabilities.screenResolutionY);

Please refer to the below results that I got after testing on iPad Pro (12.9 inches) and iPad (Ratina display):

1. When I test on iPad Pro, the app is returning 768x1024 and picking the launch image Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png (2048x2738)

2. When I test on an iPad, the app is again returning 768 x1024 and picking the launch image Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png (2048x2738)

Matt, It would be helpful for us in further investigation if you could please share a sample application so that we can reproduce the issue at our end.

And, Also help us with the code that you are using for getting the resolution of the app.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you please try this test again with "requestedDisplayResolution" set to "high" in the app xml?  It sounds like you're running in standard, since Capabilities.screenResolutionX and Y were 768 x 1024 for you.  When set to "high", our experience is that an iPad Retina (which has 1536 x 2048 resolution) won't show any launch image in this case (but will run at high res), and that an iPad Pro will choose the correct launch image but will not actually run in that extra-high resolution.

If it's choosing the launch image of 2048 x 2738, shouldn't screenResolutionX and screenResolutionY be 2048 x 2738 as well?

When we test with requestedDisplayResolution set to "high", we are getting 1536 x 2048 as the screenResolutionX and Y on iPad Pro, instead of the full resolution of 2048 x 2738 on iPad Pro.

I can send a sample application if you're seeing something different with resolution set to "high".

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2016 Aug 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

I have tested it again with "requestedDisplayResolution" set to "high" in the app.xml and now I am getting 1536 x 2048 as the screenResolutionX and Y on iPad Pro. However, We are further investigating it, why we don't get the full resolution 2048 x 2738 for iPad Pro.

But coming back to launch image issue, We are still not able to reproduce launch image going blank on iPad (ratina display) after providing the launch images set that you described in this thread. We successfully get the launch image of size (2048 x 2732) both on iPad Pro and iPad (Ratina Display). I even tried with different aspect ratio for the application.

Matt, It would be very helpful for us if you can provide a sample project for our further investigation.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 29, 2016 Aug 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update on this, I've been doing some more testing and have an update on what's happening:  When I didn't specify ~ipad or ~iphone for my launch images, I was having this issue with the Retina iPad (with the file called Default-Portrait@2x.png) --- it launched to a black screen, and the launch image briefly flickered as the app finished loading.  Once I added iPhone-related images and added "~ipad" to all of the iPad launch images, the image now correctly shows for Retina iPad. 

I also have more information about iPad Pro not using the correct resolution:  If my launch image is titled "Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png", I'm only receiving the lower resolution of 1536 x 2048.  If I remove the ~ipad part and simply call it "Default-Portrait@2x.png", it does correctly run in the higher resolution of 2048 x 2738!  I'm still trying to determine if I can include both launch images (one with ~ipad and one without), and if that will have any effect on the other resolutions or iPhones/iPods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2016 Aug 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

I also tried by including both the launch images with "~ipad" and without "~ipad" extension in the naming convention. The application seems to be working fine and giving the resolution 2048 x 2738.

We are further looking into the issue reported by you.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi deesharm​,

We are still encountering issues regarding the iPad Pro support. We are currently supporting landscape only and we provide the following images (iPhone and iPad support):

Default-375w-667h@2x.png (750 x 1334)

Default-414w-736h@3x.png (1242 x 2208)

Default-568h@2x.png (640 x 1136)

Default@2x.png (640 x 960)

Default-Landscape.png (1024 x 768)

Default-Landscape@2x (2732 x 2048) **

** This image was previously meant for retina iPads and used the dimensions of 2048 x 1536. To add support for iPad Pro, we had to change the dimensions but keep the file name.

The behavior we now see is that there is no launch image (just black screen) on retina iPads running iOS 9. Furthermore, retina iPads running iOS 10 now show a scaled up app icon instead of launch image.

We'd highly appreciate if you could investigate this issue.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

Please try including below two launch images while packaging your ipa.

Default-LandscapeRight@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

Default-LandscapeLeft@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

Furthermore, Scaled up icon problem on iOS 10 will we solve if the proper set of launch images is given while packaging the IPA.

Please let us know if you face any further problem.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi deesharm,

Thank you for your response, unfortunately the problem still exists.

Please, see the videos below that show the problem with different launch images used. The images in the videos show the resolution of the image, to clearly see which image is selected. The videos are recorded on iPad mini with iOS 10:

1. Video
    • As you can see, first the icon is scaled up and then the launch image is selected. In this case, we use the following images for iPads:
      • Default-Landscape@2x.png (2732 x 2048)
      • Default-Landscape.png (1024 x 768)
  2. Video
    • In this case, we added additional images as you suggested, which means we now have the following images:
      • Default-LandscapeRight@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

• Default-LandscapeLeft@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

• Default-Landscape@2x.png (2732 x 2048)

• The left/right image is selected but the issue with the scaled icon still exists. iPad Pro works fine.
  3. Video
    • In this case, we removed Default-Landscape@2x.png (2732 x 2048) and have the following images:

• Default-LandscapeRight@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

• Default-LandscapeLeft@2x~ipad.png (2048x1536)

• As you can see, first the non-retina image is selected (1024 x 768) and then one of the left/right images is selected. There is no issue with scaled up icon but now there is no support for iPad Pro.
  4. Video
    • In this case, we removed left/right images and resized Default-Landscape@2x.png to 2048 x 1536 so we have the following:
      • Default-Landscape@2x.png (2048 x 1536)
    • There is no issue with the icon and it works on all retina iPads but again there is no support for iPad Pro.

I hope this will help you in finding a solution to this problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

I am using below set of launch images at my end and running my project on iPad mini and iPad Pro.

Default-Landscape@2x.png : 2732 x 2048

Default-Landscape~ipad.png : 1024 x 768

Default-LandscapeLeft@2x~ipad.png : 2048 x 1536

Default-LandscapeLeft~ipad.png : 1024 x 768

Default-LandscapeRight@2x~ipad.png : 2048 x 1536

Default-LandscapeRight~ipad.png : 1024 x 768

I am getting all the launch images reflected on both the devices. Please try once again.

If problem still exist, Kindly share a sample project with us. We will investigate it further at our end.

P.S. I am keeping aspect ratio as "landscape" only.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi deesharm​,

Thanks for looking into it.

Just to confirm, your iPad mini is running iOS 10 and there is no issue with the scaled up icon?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

Scaled up icon problem gets resolved if we give right set of launch image with our IPA.

Please try it once and if it still occurs, Kindly share a sample project with us with all the launch images.

We will investigate it further at our end.

Thanks,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2016 Nov 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi deesharm​,

The issue has been solved by adding the ~ipad suffix to the non-retina launch image: Default-Landscape~ipad.png (1024 x 768).

One thing we see happening is that iOS 10 retina iPads first show non-retina launch image and shortly after the retina one. Although it may not be AIR issue but just the way how iOS 10 works.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines