• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad - Unable to Download app error

Enthusiast ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"appName" could not be installed at this time. Helpful error for sure.

Anyone else encountered this? Using a proper distribution certificate, new provisioning profile... checked and re-checked to make sure everything is good. Installing to iPad from a web site - ssl enabled from https: url. The app downloads and gets "done" installing when the dialog with the error appears. It's an iPad 2 with iOS 8+

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

It has the same no valid provisioning profile error on my 3gs, so that rules out whether the old provisioning was causing the problem.

You might try doing this search:

A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found. enterprise in house

There are lots of reports, and maybe something will show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Xcode, console logs will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 09, 2015 Aug 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a mac, so no Xcode. Could anyone with Xcode help solve this, I mean could I just send the install link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it an enterprise account build? If it isn't, it wouldn't install for us. You should be checking your provisioning file, if it's App Store, it won't install. If it's Ad Hoc with a development certificate, or development profile with a distribution certificate, it won't install. If it has an app id that is different to the one in the provisioning profile, it won't install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found out it does install on a colleagues iPad mini, so I don't think it's any of that. It's an enterprise account build, AdHoc with a distribution certificate.

I think it's probably fine if anybody wants to give it a try. It's a little 3D game using Flare. If anyone could offer any insight as to why I can't install on my target device (iPad 2) I would be most appreciative.

The link:

https://digimedia.gmrmarketing.com/comcastipad/hitthebooks/install.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using a wildcard app id, you need to use one that matches the app's app id. It may work on your colleague's iPad because it has a provisioning profile from another of your apps.

So, use com.comcast.shellgame instead of com.comcast.*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I read on Apple's site that a wildcard appID could then be used for multiple apps. So on the site I made the app id com.comcast.* and then I used com.comcast.shellgame in the App ID section when building in Flash. But I'll just go ahead and make a new ID and profile and try again. Will report back, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wildcard provisioning files will work for almost all types, just not for enterprise or final App Store builds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I created a new App ID using com.comcast.shellgame and then rebuilt the provisioning profile. Still get the same 'unable to download/install' error as before. Sitting at the same link as before if you can have a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and PS - the profile is set for in-house distribution, not ad hoc, though you probably already know that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I knew, but misremembered!

Did you update the file you linked earlier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the new .ipa built with the new profile is there at the same link now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to install the IPA using Xcode, I get an error about how it doesn't contain a valid provisioning profile. So, that's why it's failing.

I compared your embedded profile with one that I've done (also enterprise in-house), and the only thing that looks different is a 'Name' key. In your one it's the name of the app, and in my one it says "XC: com.companyname.appname" (well, it has the right company and app names), so "XC " followed by the app id. But then the IPA I'm comparing against was made with Xcode, that's probably what the XC: part means.

My next move would normally be to see if the provisioning profile from trying it earlier was still around, but iOS doesn't let you see those anymore.

I put my old 3gs on charge, I'll try installing onto that, as I didn't try the earlier build on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can the provisioning profile be bad? It's just the appID and the certificate right? It's our distribution certificate used before for other apps, and the new appID I just made for this.

In the name tage in the app's xml I have this:

<name>Hit The Books</name>

Maybe I should change to the com.comcast.shellgame?

I deleted the old profile from the apple site as once I killed the appID it was invalid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to 'Name' in the embedded provisioning file, not 'name' in the info.plist. Maybe it's just the name you gave the profile when you made it.

My 3gs test didn't work out, it's an iPad only app.

BTW, you did regenerate the provisioning profile, having changed the app id it was based off? I'm guessing you must have, because I see the full app id now.

What happens if you do a test movie onto the connected iPad, does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I think that's the App Name in the General tab of the iOS Setting dialog when you publish.

I've set the app to work on both iPad and iPhone, sorry about that.

I did change the provisioning profile, because I used a new AppID that had the full reverse domain, instead of the wildcard one. So had to generate a new one.

If I try and use the 'install app on connected iOS device' in Flash I get an error about not being able to enumerate devices and telling me to make sure iTunes is installed. It's installed and running and it sees the connected iPad just fine. I've never had any luck using that 'feature'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has the same no valid provisioning profile error on my 3gs, so that rules out whether the old provisioning was causing the problem.

You might try doing this search:

A valid provisioning profile for this executable was not found. enterprise in house

There are lots of reports, and maybe something will show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin, thanks again for helping out. Meant to reply sooner and got sidetracked. I never did figure out what was wrong with my profile. Went through all the normal steps multiple times... anyway one of the other developers at work gave me his .p12 and provisioning profile and it worked straight away. I am still going to have him take a look at my profile and see if he can determine what the real problem is. Will report back if I find anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines