Exit

iPhone 3GS and 4 package

Explorer ,
May 25, 2011 May 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A question:

If I set the stage in Flash 5.5 to 640 x 960 and design the art to that size, mark "High" under "Resolution" then it should fine on iPhone 4, but what if I run it on iPhone 3GS, will the graphics be scaled down and not worse than if I had used 320 x 480 as stage-size, and designed the graphics to it?

I also see there's something about @2 in filenames when it comes to retina-graphics. Could I just make the stage 320 x 480, mark "High" and use double sets of graphic-files to run on both devices?

kind regards,

D

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

If You set Resolution High and run it on a device which doesn't have retina

it will be ignored.

You can set the stage.scaleMode property to tell the runtime what it should

do when scaling is needed.

Thanks

Saumitra Bhave

AIR iOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You three choices really:

Have alternate scenes that have 320x480 and 640x960 sized graphics, and take the user to the scene that matches their device.

Have 320x480 graphics that look perfect on regular display, and the same quality on Retina.

Have 640x960 graphics that are perfect on Retina, but may have scaling artifacts on a regular iPhone.

One good thing is that the true quality of the image comes through after the stage is scaled. So, it doesn't matter if you have a 320x480 stage with bitmaps at 50%, or 640x960 originals, or if you have a 640x960 stage with 100% graphics. In both cases they will look fine on a Retina display.

Given that by using AIR 2.6 you are either seeing the app on Retina display or one or two other devices, the majority of users will get to see the Retina version, and I would opt to use the 640x960 graphics, and let the 3GS users put up with any scaling artifacts.

About the @2 business, that refers just to the splash screen and the icon. By having a Default@2.png that is 640x960, and an icon@2.png that is 114x114, those will be used by devices with Retina display. It doesn't help you with regards to the images you're using in the app itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines