Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

is AIR getting restricted by Xcode 5?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Apple has notified with below statement, so wanted to make sure it doesn't mean to restrict AIR for developing iOS apps

(https://developer.apple.com/news/index.php?id=12172013a#top)

Make Your Apps Work Seamlessly with iOS 7

December 17, 2013

Starting February 1, new apps and app updates submitted to the App Store must be built with the latest version of Xcode 5 and must be optimized for iOS 7. Learn more about preparing your apps by reviewing the iOS Human Interface Guidelines.

Thanks,

Sanniv.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Hi All,

The issue has been fixed and the build 4.0.0.1619 is available at

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/air4-0_sdk_mac.tbz2 for mac and http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/air4-0_sdk_win.zip for windows. Please let us know if you will face any issues.

Regards,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2014 Jan 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The issue has been fixed and the build 4.0.0.1619 is available at

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/air4-0_sdk_mac.tbz2 for mac and http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/air4-0_sdk_win.zip for windows. Please let us know if you will face any issues.

Regards,

Nimit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update! Will this be published as final non-beta version soon?

Also, I'd like to suggest putting the build number in the SDK download page:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/air/air-sdk-download.html

There it just says "version 4", but no build number.

The build number is important because in the past there have been lots of minor updates with no change to version number, only the build, and the only way to know for sure is to download the ZIP/TBZ2 file over and over each time you're not sure of what version is up. That's a waste of everybody's bandwidth, including Adobe's. So it would be a good idea to specify the full version, including build number.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

flexercised wrote:

If you go to the release notes, there is a date and build numbers.

Thanks for the tip.

Still, I think it'd be best to put the build in the download page itself, instead of just "version 4".

Or even better, since from now on subsequent versions of AIR will change the major version number each three months (like Mozilla), it'd make sense to change the minor version number when a minor update is issued (you know, what minor version numbers are actually meant for ).

So this (now beta) updated version of AIR 4 could maybe be called 4.1 when it's released as final version. It'd be less confusing than still calling it 4.0. Anyway, I hope they don't wait until AIR 5.0 (due in a couple of months in theory) to release this update as final.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Am I supposed to overwrite (and merge with) my old Air 4.0 sdk installation with these new files? When I do that, it can't find ViewNavigator even though the files are there. I have had the same issue previously, but when I installed Air 4.0 from the Apache Flex installer it worked, but after copying these files, it doesn't work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. @MarkJ, if you're using Apache Flex, then you shouldn't use the files linked by Nimitja, but the ones at the bottom of this page ("AIR 4 for Flex Developers"):

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that solved it. But the DPI is wrong, all buttons etc are too small on iPad (I updated from 3.5, so I might have missed something from the newer versions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are ANEs supported with this release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@wjm66 Yes they are of course. I am currently using ANE's from MilkmanGames and Vitapoly with this release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you compiling? adt command line, Flash Pro, Flash Builder .. I'm using Flash Pro CS6 but have not successfully implemented the vibration ane, doh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mhhhh sorry to hear that... I am using Flash Builder 4.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error after upgrading to AIR 4.0 when I open Flash Builder. 

If I revert back to 3.9 the error does not occur.

Could not create the view: Plug-in com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor was unable to load class com.adobe.flexbuilder.as.editor.ui.packageexplorer.FlexPackageExplorer.

I installed AIR 4 beta installer from:

I tried the 4.0 sdk and the 4.0 sdk for Flex developers.

FYI:  I am using the Apache Flex 4.11

How I installed 4.0

Removed and copied in 4.0 to this folder (following the directions http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-builder/kb/overlay-air-sdk-flash-builder.html:):

/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7/eclipse/plugins/com.adobe.flash.compiler_4.7.0.349722

Tried to clean Flash Builder but still got the error in 4.0.

open -a "/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7/Adobe Flash Builder 4.7.app" --args -clean

Does anyone have any advice? 

Thanks in advance.  Cheers, Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2014 Feb 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to get the AIR 4 SDK for Flex developers file at the bottom of the download page and NOT the regular AIR 4 SDK (I made the mistake...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the error from the Apple App store Application Loader that my App is not using the ios7 sdk and xcode 5.

I tried using the following mentioned above: http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/air4-0_sdk_ma c.tbz2 

It seems to be missing classes.  When I overlay it over  Flex 4.6 with a Air 4.0 already overlaid, I get missing class mx.controls.Alert, mx.controls.ProgressBar, and mx.controls.DataGridColumn.  When I overlay it over Apache Flex 4.11.0 that already has Air 4.0, I get a missing spark.components.TabbedNavigator missing.

The mx.controls errors are coming from a shared library that I use to support both mobile and browser.  Any ideas for where to go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Gary,

Based on the link you are referencing I think you are trying to overlay a Flex distro with the wrong SDK link.

Note on:

The first 'AIR 4 SDK & Compiler' link beta is the ASC 2.0 compiler and SDK, if you are using Flex you need to overlay with the 'AIR 4 SDK for Flex Developers' lower down on the page. A few others already mentioned this in the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey,

Thanks so much.  You did solve my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same questions day by day 😉 Developers don't want to read 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'd cut some people some slack here, It really doesn't help that the Adobe staff highlighted 'Correct' flagged post on the first page in this thread only contains links directly to the ASC 2.0 versions of the SDK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ETA on the final non-beta version? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it was only two months between 3.9 and 4.0, releases seem to be about 3 months apart. That would put the next non-beta some time in March I suspect.

It used to be a bigger worry, because betas were watermarked, and you were not supposed to release apps that used a beta. These days it’s ok to use the beta for shipping apps, and there’s no watermark. In many ways it doesn’t matter whether it’s a beta or a release version that you use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

First of all Thanks to Adobe devs for coming out with the solution so quickly on this. I got success in submitting ipa to itunes connect using application loader built with air sdk 4.0. Cheers!

Secondly I got one confusion about Minimum OS requirement (in iOS), here http://www.adobe.com/in/products/air/tech-specs.html, its mentioned that apps built using adobe air sdk 4.0 will be working only on

iOS

• iPod touch 4, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPad mini or iPad with Retina display
  • iOS 6.1 or later

But we tested the same build on iPad 1 having iOS 4.3 and it seems to work as fine it used to work, I checked the info.plist file inside ipa and it shows minimum iOS version as 4.3 http://gyazo.com/c7bfae833acf42c16e9eddc4d1571d0e. Meanwhile in Xcode we can't set iOS 4.3 as min iOS version now, it has iOS 5 as minimum.

So my questions here are,

1. since air 4.0 is allowing iOS 4.3 by default, can it trouble users later when they install our app from app store? (if any body has experience on it, please share that also)

2. Should we restrict iOS 4.3 manually in our app xml file by setting min ios version as iOS 5 when we make build using air sdk 4.0 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sanniv_ios,

Glad to hear about the confirmation on the fix. Regarding the sys req - Yes, even though the sys reqs have been updated to 6.1 or above, technically your apps would still work on 5.x, however, any bugs which are specific to OS versions lower than 6.1 would get very low priorirty in the bug fix queue.

Thanks

-Pahup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin Holgate escribió:

Although it was only two months between 3.9 and 4.0, releases seem to be about 3 months apart. That would put the next non-beta some time in March I suspect.

It used to be a bigger worry, because betas were watermarked, and you were not supposed to release apps that used a beta. These days it’s ok to use the beta for shipping apps, and there’s no watermark. In many ways it doesn’t matter whether it’s a beta or a release version that you use.

Yeah, but still, I think Adobe should release a proper non-beta version of the updated AIR SDK before the next big version change (from what I read, next version of AIR will be called 13.0, not 4.1), because surely a lot of people won't know about this unless they read these forums and will still download the SDK from the regular AIR SDK page. Plus not all companies might be comfortable using beta software to publish their apps to the App Store, even if it's just a semantic issue and it's probably only "psychological" (though I guess beta versions are less tested; that's what betas are meant for, after all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will the apps submitted after February 1st still be compatible with iPhone 3GS and iPad1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 02, 2014 Feb 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think yes because it's Apple restrictions but not Air. But your iOS version must meet lower limit by version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines