• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel 3 XL screen cut off (portrait mode)

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting a new thread because there have already been different suggestion to solve this problem, but none is actually working on the Pixel 3 XL.

On the Pixel 3 XL in portrait mode there is a black bar at the top of the screen, so the stage starts lower (80 pixels), which results in the bottom part of the screen being cut off.

I'm using latest Air 31

In my application XML:

<meta-data android:name="android.max_aspect" android:value="2.16" />

<fullScreen>true</fullScreen>

In the code:

stage.align = StageAlign.TOP_LEFT;

stage.scaleMode = StageScaleMode.NO_SCALE;

There is no resizing happening during startup, as some solution suggested to listen for RESIZE events, but the stage.fullScreenHeight stays the same.

The problem is not solved with different android.max_aspect values.

The only way I can get the screen fullscreen is by using:

stage.displayState = StageDisplayState.NORMAL;

but then the top and bottom part is behind transparent system bars.

I would love to hear a solution that works on a Pixel 3 XL.

(if you think you have a solution, but no access to a Pixel 3 XL, I can test your apk)

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried the mesmotronic fullscreen ANE, that brings a solution for some devices, but again this is not working on the Pixel 3 XL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just find an old article from Adobe stating that Flash movies/canvas can't be larger than 2880 x 2880 (for Flash CS6), I wonder if those same restrictions are in place these days.  The Pixel 3 XL height is 2960, so if you're seeing that black bar nudging down 80 pixels, that would put the app's display at 2880 high...

Any idea if stage.stageHeight and stage.fullScreenHeight have different values on the Pixel 3 XL somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The canvas has nothing to do with this. There are phones with same height , samsung s9 for example (1440 x 2960 pixels) and this issue is not present.

I am still searching for a solution on this.

bontegames​ please let me know if you have found anything to make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the problem has nothing to do with the canvas, but is related to the notch.

I have no solution yet, so as a temporary emergency solution I check if the stage resolution is 2960x1440 and in that case I adjust the height to 2800.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Android apps need to specifically support the notch with a new theme attribute "windowLayoutInDisplayCutoutMode" with a "shortEdges" value in order to display content around the notch, which I'm guessing AIR doesn't support right now.

For detecting this, does switching your resolution-checking to stage.stageHeight instead of stage.fullScreenHeight make a difference?  At least according to the docs, "stageHeight" should be the portion of the screen your content will display in, and "fullScreenHeight" should be the entire screen size which may be bigger than your content display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the Pixel 3 XL reports different values: fullScreenHeight 2960, stageHeight 2789.

2789 leaves a bit of black at the bottom so I think the visible part is more something like 2800.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm trying to solve this issue now, so when googling I ended up in this thread also - did you find any solution to this?

If not, is there at least any possibility in AIR (or using an ANE) to detect device with the notch to adjust the screen and avoid cut off?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines