"input line is too long" error when including 10+ ANE's

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this error:

The input line is too long.

Compilation failed while executing : ld64

When trying to use ADT to package a SWF into IOS. This error seems to be resulting from including around more than ~14 ANE's in my app xml. If I stay under 10, it works fine. The amount of ANE's that will produce the error is not strict, and will depend on what ANE's are included. The error will eventually appear if you keep adding enough ANE's, but I find that 14 is usually when it starts to break.

I found this closed/fixed Bug#3689286 but it looks like this issue is still around.

This error happens with AIR SDK 16,17, and the beta 18.

Is there any way to get around or fix this? It is a huge road block since I cannot continue development with this error without removing big chunks of the project.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2015 Jun 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it's the ADT line that is too long, because you're adding 14 full pathnames, plus whatever icons and other files you're using. Do you use -C in your input line at all? That changes the current working directory, and you can proceed by just using the file names, instead of the full pathname. That would dramatically shorten the ADT line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ADT line is actually really short. It is as such:

adt.bat ^

-package ^

-target ipa-app-store ^

-useLegacyAOT no ^

-storetype pkcs12 ^

-storepass mypassword ^

-keystore ../../certs/ios/key.p12 -provisioning-profile ../../certs/ios/provision.mobileprovision ^

MyApp.ipa ^

MyApp-app.xml ^

MyApp.swf ^

Default-568h@2x.png ^

data ^

assets ^

icons ^

-extdir ../src/ane

This is ran inside directory containing the assets and swf so I'm not using full paths, only relative paths as you can see. Even so, I'm only pointing to a directory instead of individual files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem might relate to that bug report, why not try with the useLegacyAOT line removed? Recent versions of AIR default to 'no' anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tried it with removing the -useLegacyAOT line: same error result. I've also tried it with -useLegacyAOT yes without success also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are getting the same error when adding multiples ANEs to the project (10 ANE's aprox)

Error message:

The input line is too long.

Compilation failed while executing : ld64

We are compiling to IPA using ADT (adobe AIR SDK 18.0.0.199) under a windows system (win7 64 bit).

adt -package -target ipa-test  -storetype pkcs12 -keystore "cert\iphone_dev.p12" -storepass XXX -provisioning-profile cert\DevProfile_wildcard.mobileprovision "dist\XXX-test.ipa" "application.xml" -C bin . -C "icons/ios" . -extdir lib/

We tried with useLegacyAOT yes/no line and without it, but the problem continues...

Are we doing something wrong? Do you need more information?

Thanks in advance!

Pablo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is a disadvantage of developing on a windows system, the maximum command line is something around 8000 characters I believe.

To get around this you should:

- make sure you have everything in relative directories

- reduce the length of folder and file names

- reduce the depth of folder trees.

Alternatively find an OSX machine to compile on. The limit there is much greater ~ 250000.

air native extensions // https://airnativeextensions.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your response Michael!

The tricks you explain to reduce the number of characters to solve it are great but unfortunately they are not enough... and switch to an OSS machine is not an option for us for now.

Maybe Adobe could help us or recommend us with an alternative method in ADT.bat to work about the limitation under a windows system, maybe another way to process the parameters (from txt file).

More info about command-line string limitation and how to work around the limitation at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/830473

Adobe, we are all ears!

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for raising your concerns about this issue. We are aware of this issue and investigating the same further for proper resolution. There is a bug reported already for this problem i.e. Bug #  4003293‌. We have successfully reproduced this issue at our end and tracking the same with bug number as mentioned above.

Per our preliminary investigation this issue is reproduced on Windows machine only (Windows AIR SDK), tried compiling the same on Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64bit machines. Moreover, we are not able to reproduce this issue on OSX machines and compilation is successful for the same.

Please let us know in case this issue is reproduced on OSX machine.

Regards,

Adobe AIR Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Adobe AIR Team!

You can count on us to test possible solutions or alternatives you suggest to avoid this problem on Windows.

Regards,

Pablo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@guaravs I get the impression you haven't read the thread.

The issue is the 8000 char limit on windows, so of course, we are not going to be able to reproduce it on Mac where the limit is far higher (250000).

The solution, as suggested, is for ADT to be able to parse a text file and an alternative to command line parameters.

Is there a chance you could implement this solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue here. Are you using AIR SDK 18.0.0.180 too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines