• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

whats next for Adobe AIR development?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I've been working in Flash Builder, building AIR based ios and android apps for a few years now and have some success under my belt and some happy clients.   A couple of them are doing some long term planning and in our discussions I'm undoubtedly going to be asked to weigh in on our development platform(s), what I think we need to look to for future version development, changes etc. etc.

I'm worried about relying on AIR (I use flash builder 4.6 with the latest SDK, etc. and just LOVE the workflow and AS3 in general) and finding myself stuck with yesterdays technology that has been abandoned.  I came across the whitepaper by Adobe on the future after Flex was transitioned to Apache Flex, and it seemed to indicate around 5 years of future support / functionality for AIR developers using flex / flash builder... or did I not understand that correctly?

My primary question is whats NEXT for someone like myself, tasked with making development platform decisions for a few clients' businesses and charting the course for development environments for new and legacy apps / software.   I've experimented with HTML 5 / javascript based tools / platforms like phonegap, etc and they look promising I guess, but if AIR and Apache Flex will be here to stay (generally speaking) I'll probably stick with it and ride it out as it evolves since I like and am familiar with it.   But if its the case that its a known fact that it will at some point in the not to distant future, be sidelined and eventually die out, then I need to start sizing up the players to decide whats next for my development platform of choice.

I looked for an existing thread on this but couldn't find anything, current that addresses it.  If anyone can share any links or other official statements or their opinion I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines