• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do OSX Air apps weight more than 60MB now?

Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't done anything with Air in a while. Compiled an old project to an OSX app that used to be 10MB, now it weights more than 60MB.

What's up with that?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you packaging unnecessary assets or something?

I've got an AIR app for OSX with about 30,000 lines of code with graphical assets galore and I'm sitting at a nice 4MBs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there are no assets. Just 1 .as file and a 128 x 128 icon. It's a very simple project which is why I'm quite surprised.

Just in case it wasn't clear on my OP, I'm compiling to an .app file with the runtime embedded, not an Air package.

launcher-air.jpglauncher-air2.jpg

I've checked inside the app file with show package contents and all those MBs come from the runtime. Surprisingly before it was only 10 MB...

launcher-air3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm well it seems you lead me to learn a few things today.

For OSX I had been compiling a ".dmg" not  "app"... something I misinterpreted as compiling with the runtime... Apparently both the "dmg" and "air" file, will both go download AIR before it runs... which was allowing my small file size.

Either way it's odd that it would be 50MBs... as AIR for iOS and Android with captive runtime adds about 10-15 MBs.... Based on your screenshot it seems it's including both AIR and the Flash player.

Maybe the "dmg" is an option for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phonefusionryan wrote:

Maybe the "dmg" is an option for you?

Sadly it's not. I do a lot of work for museums and we rarely have internet there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2015 Feb 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if someone at Adobe could chime in.

60MB is a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll see if I can get around to compiling the "app" and let you know my file size. I can only do it on a mac and I normally work on PC so I'll need to transfer it over maybe at the end of my work day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Does compiling an exe weight less?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good thought... unfortunately have bad news. Though this is a large project, while not 60MBs, the exe with captive runtime was 48.6MBs... with 44.3MBs coming from just the "Adobe AIR" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks...

What puzzles me is that not so long ago (less than a year) air apps compiled with the runtime used to weight a lot less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines