• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

64-bit runtime for Windows?!

Participant ,
Jan 30, 2016 Jan 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it that AIR 20 gets 64-bit runtime support for Mac (but not Windows) and that AIR 21 doesn't get anything that's remotely useful for desktop application developers like me? In fact AIR 21 is mostly focused at Flash Player is it not?

When will Windows be getting a 64-bit runtime? Need timescales please.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, can you respond please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What benefit are you expecting to receive from a 64-bit app or what is the need for it? Everything I can find on the subject matter of 32-bit vs 64-bit is that the only real difference is apps are granted access to more than 4GB of RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wadedwalker‌,

Quite a few people have been asking 64bit on Windows and generally the reasons are the same, we need more RAM. Current AIR is on Windows is 32Bit, but differently than the theoretical limit of 4GB, AIR only allows ~1.2GB before it gets unstable.

Example: my current project needs to work with images, lots of. Datasets that clients are generating is north of 24GB. Granted, we have done a lot of work and we dont need all the imagery to be loaded at the same time, but in quite a few  cases, the time it takes for the system to free the memory, is not fast enough, and we run into problems.

On the Mac, which is 64bit, this problem does not happen. We have use cases where the RAM goes up to 3 or 4GB, and then it goes down when it can...

In  case of game developers, I can see how more memory allows for more textures, more complex scenes...

The bottom line is... it exists on the Mac and its good. And as far as I know majority of 32bit systems are going out of support and life cycle...

The only question is, what time frame are we looking at? 1 week, 1 month, 2, 3... ?

regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the list of things they want to do in the first half of 2016:

Flash Daily: Adobe AIR in 2016 Chris Campbell: “The team has...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe,

July'2016 is almost over. Are there any plans on AIR 64bit for Windows?

Sergei

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could someone share if any progress on 64-bit Flash Player for Win?

Sergei.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the same question 3 months ago, but no response - AIR 64 bit on Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's become clear to me that Adobe is winding the AIR development down by focusing on the more useless features compared to the useful ones. The 64-bit Windows runtime has been on the list for over a year and still Adobe refuses point-blank to answer our questions.

Time to move on I think... It's a shame, AIR could have dominated, but it seems HTML5 and other technologies have won this battle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look into AIR beta downloads on the lab

there you can see

64 bit AIR 25 SDK & Compiler Beta – Captive apps only (Windows)

see also the release notes
https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/air/win64SDK/air25_win64SDK_releasenotes.pd...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines