Highlighted

Adobe AIR : Issue with StageVideo FullScreen on MacBook w/ Retina

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone run into an issue with StageVideo running in FullScreen mode on high-res monitors, such as a MacBook Pro with retina?

The issue I'm seeing is that the video runs fine if the application is windowed, but when it goes full screen, the video display is cropped to a quarter of the MacBook Pro screen size. The rest of the viewable area is black.

Things worth knowing:

• Fullscreen works perfect on lower-res monitors
  • This only happens on a MacBook Pro in the ADL Preview  OR  when requestedDisplayResolution is set to TRUE in the Application Descriptor file.
  • If requestedDisplayResolution is set to FALSE, and your run the application (outside of ADL Preview), FullScreen works fine.
  • I'm setting the viewport with stageVideo.viewPort = new Rectangle( 0 , 0 , 1440  , 900 );

I haven't been able to find any information out there on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-m

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe AIR : Issue with StageVideo FullScreen on MacBook w/ Retina

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone run into an issue with StageVideo running in FullScreen mode on high-res monitors, such as a MacBook Pro with retina?

The issue I'm seeing is that the video runs fine if the application is windowed, but when it goes full screen, the video display is cropped to a quarter of the MacBook Pro screen size. The rest of the viewable area is black.

Things worth knowing:

• Fullscreen works perfect on lower-res monitors
  • This only happens on a MacBook Pro in the ADL Preview  OR  when requestedDisplayResolution is set to TRUE in the Application Descriptor file.
  • If requestedDisplayResolution is set to FALSE, and your run the application (outside of ADL Preview), FullScreen works fine.
  • I'm setting the viewport with stageVideo.viewPort = new Rectangle( 0 , 0 , 1440  , 900 );

I haven't been able to find any information out there on this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-m

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 27, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the docs (StageVideo - Adobe ActionScript® 3 (AS3 ) API Reference😞

The absolute position and size of the video surface in pixels.

The position of the video is relative to the upper left corner of the stage.

The valid range of the x and y properties of the viewPort Rectangle object are -8192 to 8191. Therefore, you can position the video completely or partially off the stage. You can also make the video larger than the stage if you make the width and height properties of the viewPort property larger than the stage.

It seems like you need to pass the full stage width and height to the stageView.viewPort call.  Currently you're hardcoding it to 1440 x 900, what is the actual dimensions of your screen?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question!

I added values in in the example above to avoid posting too much code. I'm setting the width to stage.stageWidth and the height to stage.stageWidth * (videoRatio).

What's interesting is that, if I go fullscreen on a monitor attached to my MacBook Pro, that isn't retina, everything is fine. The video renders full screen without any issues.  If I drag the application to the retina MacBook Pro screen, and go fullscreen, only 720x450 is displayed.  Also worth mentioning that the video is cropped to 720x450, not resized.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you offsetting the rect by stage.stageHeight/2 - stage.stageWidth*videoRatio/2?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not.   As an experiement, I've hardcoded:

stageVideo.viewPort = new Rectangle( 0 , 0 , 3000 , 1500 ); 

The video itself is stretched, but the area viewable area displayed is still cropped to 720x450.

Setting the x and y params of the rectangle will just move the stretched video over, but it is still cropped to a rectangle of ( 0 , 0 , 720 , 450 ).

Setting viewPort seemingly does nothing for FullScreen on a desktop with Retina. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set requestedDisplayResolution to high in your air application

descriptor?

--

Thanks,

Kawika Heftel

Heftel Studios

801-358-9830

http://www.heftelstudios.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and no ...

If you set "requestedDisplayResolution" to FALSE in the application descriptor, the video renders fine in full screen - however, everything else looks blurry/pixelated because of retina's up-scaling.

The 720x450 crop only happens in ADL.exe preview and in the compiled application if "requestedDisplayResolution" is set to TRUE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aren't the supported values standard and high, not true/false?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSfffb011ac560372f2fea1812938a6e463-8000.html#WSfffb011ac560372f-4cb7055d12d779150e8-8000

--

Thanks,

Kawika Heftel

Heftel Studios

801-358-9830

http://www.heftelstudios.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. Sorry, I have it set as <requestedDisplayResolution>high</requestedDisplayResolution>.

I didn't have the descriptor in front of me when I was composing my reply.

Either way, the issue still persists.

Thank you for your help in troubleshooting this. Much appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so the actual dimensions of your screen on a retina macbook are 1440 x 900? I thought they would be higher.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, by default the resolution on a MBP 15" is 1440x900.  You can scale the display to 1920x1200 though if you wanted more space (and tiny type).

Here's a quick trace of in full screen...

trace( "---- screen report -----");

trace( "Stage Size : "+ stage.stageWidth +"x"+ stage.stageHeight );

trace( "Stage FullScreen Size : "+ stage.fullScreenWidth +"x"+ stage.fullScreenHeight );

trace( "Screen Pixel Aspect Ratio : "+ Capabilities.pixelAspectRatio );

trace( "Screen DPI: "+ Capabilities.screenDPI );

trace( "Screen Resolution: "+ Capabilities.screenResolutionX +"x"+ Capabilities.screenResolutionY );

trace( "------------------------");

Gives you:

---- screen report -----

Stage Size : 1440x900

Stage FullScreen Size : 1440x900

Screen Pixel Aspect Ratio : 1

Screen DPI: 72

Screen Resolution: 1440x900

------------------------

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang, I wish I could help more. That's all I can think of.

If you want, you could send me a sample app and I could try it on my retina iMac to see if it has the same problem.

Another option would be to just not use the retina capabilities.

Oh, by the way, what version of AIR SDK are you using?  I thought I saw something like this mentioned in one of the newer releases' release notes.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 27, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I ended up setting it back to standard.  It's unfortunate ...

I'm using 16.0.0.272.  I went through most of the recent release notes and didn't see anything in there from known bugs or fixes. 

I'm guessing it's a bug. I'll file a bug report tonight when I get a sec.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2015 0
Engaged ,
Apr 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad. Post the bug report here and I'll vote for it too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 28, 2015 0
New Here ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue using Air 17. Did you ever find a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Explorer ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never did. As far as I know, this is a bug and can not be fixed.

Unfortunately, no one from Adobe weighed in on this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Engaged ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, can you trace out "flash.display.Screen.mainScreen.bounds" in both window mode and full screen, then report back the values it gives? I wonder if some methods AIR uses to determine screen size is seeing the true max resolution of the Retina display while in Full Screen instead of the reported width/height of 1440x900 (non-Retina 15" MB Pro and 13" MB Air screen resolution).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Explorer ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It reports the same value for both ..

SCREEN SIZE:(x=0, y=0, w=1440, h=900)

FULL SCREEN SIZE:(x=0, y=0, w=1440, h=900)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Engaged ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that shoots down any helpful ideas I might have had. If you want to create a bug and post the link, I will vote on it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Explorer ,
May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

err.. hit send to soon.

It was a good suggestion.

I think the issue is what you're saying it is.. AIR is receiving 1440x900 in fullscreen mode vs. the full 2880x1800.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2015 0
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow time goes back quick - I meant to respond to this a while ago.

There's a ticket open if anyone stumbles upon this issue ... apparently it's been around since AIR 3.8.

Bug#3655955 - Fullscreen StageVideo on Retina MacbookPro Cutting Off All But 1/4 of the Screen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 28, 2015 0