Highlighted

AIR 15 breaks GPU rendermode on Android Lollipop?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that regardless of the renderMode settings in application.xml, AIR is always forced to CPU when displaying our game. This happened quite recently when we decided to test a newer version of the Android 5.0 developer release.

Note that performance is correct on one of our other apps using Stage3D, so this must purely be a GPU/CPU mode thing, with Direct not being affected when applicable.

Test device: Nexus 7 (2013, Razor)

AIR SDK: 15.0.0.302 (as available as official download) as well as latest AIR 15 Beta (Oct 22, 2014)

Fix: reverting back to AIR SDK 14 solves all performance problems and seems to run in GPU mode correctly. Also, older Android versions seem unaffected, it's strictly Lollipop.

Is anyone else running into this?

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AIR 15 breaks GPU rendermode on Android Lollipop?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that regardless of the renderMode settings in application.xml, AIR is always forced to CPU when displaying our game. This happened quite recently when we decided to test a newer version of the Android 5.0 developer release.

Note that performance is correct on one of our other apps using Stage3D, so this must purely be a GPU/CPU mode thing, with Direct not being affected when applicable.

Test device: Nexus 7 (2013, Razor)

AIR SDK: 15.0.0.302 (as available as official download) as well as latest AIR 15 Beta (Oct 22, 2014)

Fix: reverting back to AIR SDK 14 solves all performance problems and seems to run in GPU mode correctly. Also, older Android versions seem unaffected, it's strictly Lollipop.

Is anyone else running into this?

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 23, 2014 1
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally getting this on my Nexus 5 with Android 5 OTA. The 3D context can't be created !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2014 2
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution to this?  Am seeing it on Nexus 9, Android 5 and AIR 15 as well.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Can you try with our beta that will be out later today?  From my notes, this should be fixed.

Thanks,

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the AIR 16 beta, correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  Should be out in the next hour or two.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try with today's beta?  I've also been informed that this should have been fixed in our 15.0.0.356 build released last week.

Thanks,

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris!

For me everything is working again with 15.0.0.356 build.
Thx a lot for the fast fix!

Thanks,
Stefan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris!

I have same problem on my Nexus 7 (2012) (Android Lillipop) even with AIR 16.0.0.250 - all animation slow down in GPU mode

But it`s all work`s fine on SDK 14.0.0.178

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting similar complaints with the older Nexus 7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please open a new bug report on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  When adding the bug, please include a sample project and details on the device we should test against.  If you'd like to keep this private, feel free to email the attachment to me directly (ccampbel@adobe.com). 

Once added, please let me know the bug number and I'll ask the mobile team to investigate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 19, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have already open new bug report on this issue with simple project file :

Bug 3913464 Updated: Adobe AIR 15-16 slow down my animation whith Nexus 7 (2012) (Android Lillipop)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding that.  It looks like the team has been able to reproduce the problem and is investigating further.

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 05, 2015 0