• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AIR 3.6 overlay on Flex 4.6 breaks MXML compilation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the usual thing (3rd time I'm overlaying AIR), but this time I was unable to compile Flex application - there's is a namespace error problem and pretty much any component from (s:State, etc.) will throw "Could not resolve <s:State> to a component implementation.". I've discovered that flex-config.xml that AIR 3.6 brings with is vastly different from previous and doesn't even mention Flex in descriptions. I've reverted back to previous flex-config.mxml but this did not change anything. Something's not right, clearly?

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

The download page does have a link to an older version, for people using Flex.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 13, 2013 Feb 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My builds are broken with AIR 3.6 mxmlc.

mxmlc reports "test.mxml is of an unsupported type: mxml"

which seems weird and unlikely, considering the name of the program... Is the previous version mxmlc gone for 3.6 use? I'm trying to test if https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3358093 is fixed in the latest, but I canot even complete the compile step...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 14, 2013 Feb 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You missed the part where it says that starting from AIR 3.6 the SDK will include ASC 2.0.

I guess sooner or later there will be tutorials explaining how to use the old mcmlc with the new SDKs (if there is none available yet).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christ, Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's perfectly understandable, maybe the could have waited for AIR 3.7, but still, why not?

I wonder what's the current state on Falcon compiler, I monitor its repository to know any new commit, but I don't know if Apache has released any version of it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand they shipped the new compiler. I don't understand a workflow that requires installing on top of flex sdk, permanently breaking flex and the mxml files your compiler is named for? At this point, shouldn't it be considered a wholly separate sdk and not a flex add on?

My search for readme files / explaining information came up empty...

Christ, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you don't need to overwrte the previous Flex SDK in order to use the new AIR SDK, and the AIR SDK has never been a Flex add on, they are two completely different, separate and indepent things as you may know.

ASC 2.0 provides a mxmlc entry point to remain compatible with several tools out there, but it's not its actual name. You could still compile with the old compiler, and use ADT separately to package your SWF. Maybe they could have made two separate packages, one for the SDK and another for ASC 2.0, but I see more point into doing it this way.

As Colin says, there is a download link for people using Flex, I don't know if it's new, or I just missed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarification, Colin. Indeed, the second link leads to SDK working with Flex. I'm pretty sure, though, that this link and whole section wasn't there at the time I was downloading the SDK for the first time - hence the confusion.

I still find it extremely bizarre, that the Flex version that apparently *everyone* need and look for is just a tiny font with a tiny link that's *so easy* to miss, yet the pure AS3 SDK that is used by almost nobody (I'm yet to meet such a person) is right there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the majority of people here are using either Flash Pro, or doing ActionScript projects in Flash Builder. Both of those use the regular SDK. Also, Flex isn't an Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sebastian,

I'm facing exact same problem as you did. Existing project's compilation is failing. <s:State> , <s:ArrayList> (to name a few) are not found.

Can you kindly let me know how did you resolve this issue? I'm not quite clear on the answer that was marked 'Correct' which is 'The download page does have a link to an older version, for people using Flex.'

Which is the download page and what's the older version here? Should I be trying older version of AIR?

Or will it work if I replace overlayed flex-config.xml with that of old 4.6.0's flex-config.xml?

Cheers!

Deepak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use standard overlay procedure - just download the SDK that was meant to use with Flex, not the pure AS one. The link is *very easy* to miss.

Screen Shot 2013-02-19 at 09.28.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops! Considering the fact that there are so many flex guys out there, that link should have been highlighted I reckon 😐

Anyway, thanks Sebastian. That helped  and hope it shall help others too.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is really old post, but it comes up as one of top results, so I thought I would add some information regarding my own experience.

For a client's application, I have to use Flex 4.6.0 + AIR SDK 28.0, because later AIR SDKs for some reason break mp4 playback in the application. On Adobe's site, I could only find the most recent AIR SDK (32.0) offered for "Flex users". The "archived versions of Adobe AIR SDK" page doesn't seem to have the Flex-friendly versions.

My solution - and it works for me on macOS - is the following:

Follow Adobe's instructions on the "Overlay AIR SDK on Flex SDK" page, using Adobe Flex 4.6.0 SDK and the desired Adobe AIR SDK (28.0 in my case), standard version. So, unpack the Flex SDK first, and copy it to another directory. Then copy AIR SDK's files to that second directory, overwriting existing files (`cp -af` works nicely).

Then, from the original directory where the Flex SDK was unpacked into, take bin/mxmlc and frameworks/air-config.xml, and overwrite the respective files in the combined Flex+AIR SDK directory. Replacing mxmlc disables the newer compiler (which doesn't support mxml). And the air-config.xml contains the settings necessary for Flex namespaces and libraries to work. Note that air-config.xml has ancient target-player and swf-version settings, which may be updated to newer ones (for AIR SDK 28.0 it's 28.0 and 39, respectively), but this is not necessary if your application's build configuration sets specific target-player and swf-version, as those will override settings from the SDK configuration.

I suppose this may also work on Windows, but I didn't have to do it manually on Windows, instead I used FlashDevelop's Software Installer to install the Flex+AIR SDK (sadly, last time I tried it, this installer had some issues and couldn't download the list of available add-ons).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The download page does have a link to an older version, for people using Flex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines