Highlighted

Air application incremental update

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have an AIR application of more than 300 MB.

For update I am using NativeApplicationUpdater-0.5.1.swc.

Whenever there is a small update, user have to download the entire installer package which is quite frustrating.

Is there any mechanism we can download only the updated files and push it to the existing application.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Air application incremental update

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have an AIR application of more than 300 MB.

For update I am using NativeApplicationUpdater-0.5.1.swc.

Whenever there is a small update, user have to download the entire installer package which is quite frustrating.

Is there any mechanism we can download only the updated files and push it to the existing application.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 13, 2014 0
Engaged ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had apps that contained large media assets (is this your scenario?) and the application SWFs themself were very small. In that case I would roll an update without the media assets. Or if the media needed to be updated, I would include just the updated media. I never use the application updater "framework", just the built in Updater class.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the reply.

But my scenario is not just the media or any specific update. I am looking for random update.

Is there a solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

I am little bit confused about your answer.

If I package my update installer without some big assets and if the new installer package replaces the existing one, then will the application still have the big assets?

Please clarify.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2014 1
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the installation directory will get replaced, but not the applicationStorageDirectory, so what I've done is when the application runs for the first time (or after update) I copy the installed assets to applicationStorageDirectory. Future updates can incrementally update/add assets this way.

Keep in mind that if you have multiple incremental updates and someone updates from, say, version 2 to version 4, they will not get the incremental update in version 3. My solution was simply to require a full update if the current version was more than a required minimum version specified by the current update, which was usually onyl 1 version behind.

Another way I've done this with a more complex app that used a large library of media assets was to only install a manifest of required files, and the app would download any it didn't already have from a server when they were required (with a "downloading" message in the app).

Hope that helps.

-Aaron

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 15, 2014 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Aaron,

It was really helpful and I have figured out the solution to use applicationStorageDirectory for large assets, and thus not packaging the same assets in the update installer. This reduced my update package upto 100 MB and now it's acceptable.

Thanks again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2014 1