Exit

AIR for iOS is dead...

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So... what's the plan?

No WatchKit support.

No AppleTV support. I guess we'll miss out on that...

Testing ANEs locally is a joke

Nothing is updated for iOS 9. Icon sizes, etc.

No much work arounds and hacky code required.

There's too much to list...

This whole process could have been built to be so much easier/automated to rapidly build apps with AS3, but it's a disaster at the current state.

Obviously nobody should be publishing Flash for the web. What's the plan Adobe? Any news on the Flash IDE maybe going purely HTML5?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep your rant for yourself. The only real joke is the Apple Watch and your expectation to use Air on it. There is no market for the Watch. About tvOS lets wait and see. Chris Campbell said they are evaluating it, that is good enough for now. No one benefits if they commit to tvOS and then it turns out that no one is using that (this is what happened with Smart TVs a few years back). If you want to be among the first you have to go native, that is the trade off with any crossplatform development tool and it will never change.

Yes, icon sizes would be nice (for Windows, too), but they are probably coming later this year. Last year we had to wait way longer until Adobe delivered an Air SDK for iOS 8 that actually worked. So keep calm and develop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're just so wrong. How long have you been a devloper... 6 months? There is no point in supporting an OS that doesn't have notable market share. If tvOS was in every home in the country, you bet your sweet ass that Adobe would support it... but it's not! So just be patient, the AIR team has done an amazing job and will continue to do so in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 23, 2015 Oct 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Obviously nobody should be publishing Flash for the web"

That is your opinion.

"Any news on the Flash IDE maybe going purely HTML5"

Flash CC 2015 already has a HTML5 Canvas option when creating a new project file. It is actually the very first create new file option on the splash screen when you first launch Flash CC 2015.

The newest AppleTV isnt even available yet and only the the biggest iOS developers have gotten their hands on one to test with. Adobe would need to update AIR to be able to handle all controls with just the finger swiping on the new controller as it has no directional controls anymore. That is something that would probably take a little bit of time to do.

The only opinion I have about smart watch apps is they should just be an extension of an existing app that lets you quickly perform small tasks. If someone were to try and build a full app for a smart watch, they would probably get peeved when they realize the battery just got shot to hell from spending too much time in an app that they should have been using on the phone. Again, that is my opinion.

If you come here to complain, you shouldnt expect a warm welcome. I can't speak for the others on this forum, but I visit daily to see if I can help anyone or if anyone has had a question answered that would be insightful for me in the event I ever come across said issue. I would like to think that the others who visit these forums have the same mindset or are the person asking for help.

Saying that AIR is dead or that even Flash is dead is shortsighted and strictly your opinion. AIR and Flash won't even be dead years after Adobe quits developing for it because it has too many uses. Take video games and ScaleForm for example. EA Sports is still using Flash Player 8 for their UI elements in Madden, NCAA, etc. All of the Batman Arkham games UI's were built using Flash and the ScaleForm library. Then there is kiosks stations, internal company tools/apps (I have made several AIR apps and Flash web tools for my department to speed up production).

If you really think that AIR is dead and doesn't have what you need, then you can try Unity and either use JavaScript (eww) or learn C#. Or you can learn Objective-C and/or Swift and develop for iOS, Mac OS, watchOS (is that what it is called?), and tvOS natively and you will never have to complain about AIR not having what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had two games made with Adobe AIR featured on iOS AppStore in the past few months:

Tormentum - Dark Sorrow and Snot & Fluff - A Space Adventure

So NO! Adobe AIR for iOS is not dead! Definitely not yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add that one of the main complaint about Adobe Air, namely the performance, is each day less an issue thanks to the increasing performance of the devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2016 Jul 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This whole process could have been built to be so much easier/automated to rapidly build apps with AS3, but it's a disaster at the current state.

That certainly true - not really the fault of the staffers here - as far as execs go Adobe is making more cash than ever as a cheaper consumer platform - the hemorrhaging of developers, wide spread ditching in academic/industry training over the past few years hasn't hurt them financially. At that level the constant association with negative publicity must make Flash ecosystem a liability regardless of it's potential and history - so it's no great surprise they're running with a skeleton crew.

Obviously nobody should be publishing Flash for the web.

You'd certainly be brave to pitch it cold - Flash Player removal is part of the security schedule in most industry/commerce environments already - but it will live on a while for consumers/education simply due to the weight of unported historic content - albeit a click away behind the increasingly terse warnings of the browser makers.

What's the plan Adobe? Any news on the Flash IDE maybe going purely HTML5?

Can't see it going much beyond current functionality - plenty of use for it in the production pipeline - the new name is fairly clear statement of role intent. There are scores of better IDEs, tools and libraries out there for developers, the bulk of whom are never coming back to Adobe in any case. Adobe canned most of their next gen Edge line knowing this battle and community was already lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines