Copied

It is good or bad?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

AIR is now from HARMAN, what to expect?

Explorer ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good or bad?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 30, 2019 1
161 Replies 161
Guide ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be the last nail in the coffin. Or not?

This news is hitting the net now.

Adobe AIR is Dead? - YouTube

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2019 0
Participant ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a good thing. 

Now instead of 2 employees from adobe spending their spare time at lunch working on it... Maybe HARMAN will have an actual team working on it.

Can only go up from here. 

Its a a very strange move tho. I‘m really disappointed in Adobe here. They say they are committed to the developer but they are not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2019 4
Explorer ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm excited for this change.
I think Adobe never figured out a way to make money from AIR, so development stagnated on it.
Maybe Harman will figure out a fair pricing model and develop new features and support even more platforms.

Or maybe they'll take the tech in a direction that we don't want. Who knows?
I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2019 1
Participant ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was anticipating an end of life announcement.  So this is a great thing.

The world really does does need to realize how good this platform is.

Perfect example. I have 3 co-op students working on an iOS prototype right now. I was able to build in 3 days what will take them 2 weeks....  and mine works on Android as an added bonus.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2019 4
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Super quick deployment. And as phone specs get faster, performance issues become less important. Adobe is bailing on this at exactly the wrong time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess.  It's likely that Samsung has a substantial AIR based investment in their smart TV segement and automotive interfaces they're preserving.   It would be great to see smart TV apps again.  We had our AIR application running on a Samsung TV once as an R&D test back in the day.   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past, Samsung Bluray player and TVs had AIR support, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 0
Engaged ,
Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, in like 2008-9 there were a couple of tutorials on how to deploy for Samsung TVs. However they changed to tizen a few years later.

Harman has many clients with AIR apps and I think they still have a few car multimedia centers running on AIR UI. The good thing is that with their update for Android 64, we will see some performance gain, as our apps right now are very limited.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 05, 2019 0
Advocate ,
Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that Andrew wrote that Samsung is probably not even aware of the licensing of Air by Harman. So at this point it is probably nothing they consider vital at Samsung. (Although I wish they would notice this and see the potential and invest heavily )

My expectations so far, also based on what Harman has published:

- Continued, long term support for Air on the currently supported platforms.

- Eventually (2020?) a stand-alone website for Air with aggregated marketing materials, documentation and forums.

- Hopefully a good business case for Harman that allows them to acquire all rights on Air and all additional tools in the future that are currently not part of the deal.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 06, 2019 2
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's good thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 30, 2019 1
Participant ,
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can definitely be a good thing. I believe AIR still has a very good spot in the market for being the best alternative for doing light, effective and great apps/games for web, mobile and desktop. We have already moved on to Unity for most of our games (due to Adobe's lack of a clear roadmap) but we miss the speed of development getting a new AIR project up and running on all devices.

Now, we really need support for HTML5 output. Flash is out so this is a must for making any serious cross platform online apps/games.

And please, remove the air.* name requirement for Android. It's just stupid.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2019 2
Explorer ,
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl,

Let see what happen after this amazing news.

And for your last question, here's a link that explain the process for removing air. prefix on Android.

Removing air prefix from package name.

Hope it helps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 31, 2019 2
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to their site, they too have a bunch of legacy applications and customers, included embedded systems like automotive.  I'm guessing some are Andriod based, hence their announcement to get the 64bit Andriod thing fixed before the deadline.   Guess they figured it was cheaper to buy AIR then let it die.

Harman - Adobe Partnership - HARMAN

scroll to the bottom

It can't be worst than the current, where we get a release that breaks all desktop video and no one responds for two weeks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2019 1