• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air unable to install to iOS11 devices via ADT (Windows)

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So there is an issue in that Adobe Air is currently unable to install an IPA directly to an iOS 11 device connected via USB on Windows (I am installing via ADT using the command prompt). iOS 10 and lower devices work fine, but iOS 11 throws an "Unable to enumerate devices" error.

This appears to be a known issue (see Adobe Air release notes: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/fp_27_air_27_release_notes.html … - this final known issue for Air)

To make matters worse, I made the additional error today of updating iTunes to the latest version (the one where they have removed app support from it) and now all of our iOS 10 devices no longer install builds via the method described above.

So our Windows based developers are now in a bind in that we can't immediately deploy & test directly to iOS without having to go through a process of uploading to a service such as HockeyApp, and downloading/installing from the target device. Unfortunately this is not a feasible option.

If anyone has a workaround for this issue, we would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Ben.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Hi,

This issue is known to us and we are working on same. Please expect a fix soon for this issue.

Thanks,

Ankit | Adobe AIR Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2017 Sep 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already suggested it in another thread, but this solution should work: iFunbox | the File and App Management Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch.

ADT has been acting strangely since a long time for me (i.e. not being able to install over an already existing app on the device), so I use iFunBox, which proved to be more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had no issues with ADT installing direct to a device via USB until iOS 11 came along.

On a further note, I tested iFunbox yesterday and found that it works fine with iTunes 12.6 (downgraded back from 12.7) and iOS 10 devices. iOS 11 devices however still fail to install IPA's via USB irrespective of the method utilised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested iFunBox with the iTunes 12.6 / iOS 11 combo, and it worked fine here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I might have to test from an alternative Windows machine to be sure. But on the machine I tried it on, iFunbox when installing to an iOS 11 device completed the install and responded with no error message, however in checking the device the app was no where to be found so I assumed the install failed silently.

In any case, an Adobe rep contacted me and they say that they may have a fix in place on a prerelease version of Air. Fingers crossed as our dev workflow prior to these issues was pretty seamless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok So I am updating to the newest version now of Adobe Animate. but I found a temporary fix which doesn't require ADT. Just export you app as is. Then import into iTunes and then sync!

"Works on my machineâ„¢"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had same problem

adt gives errors sometimes PackageExtractionFailed sometimes APIInternalError it appears only on devices with ios11

it is totally bug in adt and not fixed on lates air sdk 27

until adobe fixes it i am using diawi.com.

If someone has an alternative solution to install app via usb via command line interface like adt (no manual sync import stuff like itunes,ibox and other tools does) that would be huge timesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This issue is known to us and we are working on same. Please expect a fix soon for this issue.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope it won't take long time to fix such simple issue for such a big company like Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm (happily) that Air SDK v27.0.0.132 has fixed this issue. Thank you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could say the same, but I encounter some issues on Windows 10 (iTunes 12.6). Same behavior on iPhone 4S with iOS 10.3 and iPhone 6 with iOS 11.01.

If I use the following command:

call adt -installApp -platform ios -package application.ipa

It works the first time, but following calls do nothing. Even if I uninstall the app on the device, the following calls won't even install the app again. I have to unplug and replug the device for ADT to work again, every time.

I tried using the -device argument too, but it doesn't improve things. Do I have to update to iTunes 12.7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI It does not seem to work for me either with v27.0.0.132.

I also tried updating to itunes 12.7 and still could not debug from Intellij like I normally do on an ios11 ipod. It does however continue to work on an ios10 device (ipad). I don't use iFunBox but I do use iTools and that does not help here either.

Additional info edit: I am using Air for Flex (on top of apache flex 4.16)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have verified the issue at our end and with latest AIR SDK on windows and everything is working as expected.

Could you please retry it.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly no its not fixed. I have tried your latest air 27 beta, fresh, on 3 different windows computers, with itunes reinstalled and installed fresh, with 3 different lighting cables, with ios 10 and 11. Using sdk and compiler versions from Download Adobe AIR 27 Beta - Adobe Labs with flash builder 4.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing iTunes 12.7 improved things on my side. Now, if I plug an iPhone and use the ADT to install an IPA immediately after, it works most of the time. It's easy to check, because when it works, the icon on the device dims for 2 seconds while the app is installed. But after a few installs, it doesn't work any longer: the icon doesn't dim, and if the app is already running, it doesn't quit to be replaced by the new IPA.

ADT doesn't display any message though, it just fails silently.

If I unplug and replug the USB cable, ADT can work again for a while. But all this is pretty erratic. I even checked my USB power settings in Windows, to see if the issue was due to some kind of power saving feature. But no luck with that either. iFunBox, on the other hand, works all the time and is very robust.

I really can't see what would make it fail on my PC, while it works on others. Are there any drivers I should check?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aah yes, the Windows ADT installation failing silently issue has been prevalent going back quite a few versions of Air. Not sure if it is a bug that has been reported previously but I have experienced this issue for the last few years. But as you said, a simple reconnection of the USB cable in to the device usually gets me around it so I don't view it as a critical issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I personally find this rather painful. When you keep updating an app on a device, you're never sure you are testing the latest build since it fails silently. To be sure, you have to stare at the device screen to check if the app icon dims for a second or two, which is pretty annoying. At least, if ADT was showing an error, it would be possible to unplug/replug quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Developers,

The unplug/replug issue is known to us and it has started happening recently. We are investigating this issue at our end.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark, have you tried the production release version (not the Beta version) of Air 27? I haven't tested the beta build, but the prod release version works for me just fine.

Download Adobe AIR SDK & Compiler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem has fixed wlth atest air sdk release 27.0.0.132 build also try to update itunes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm reporting is with latest AIR SDK (132) and iTunes version (12.7).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this a number of times now, both from intellij and directly from command line. It is still not working for me (with .132 build). Command line is a silent fail. If I try to install the ipa with something like itools4, I see 'apiinternalerror'. I will have to come back to this and try again to figure it out later...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the people in this thread that say they have it working, are you running/debugging right from flash builder? My main reason for this method (which worked before) is to actually debug ios specific issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FlashDevelop here. I usually debug successfully through that IDE in a remote debug session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flashdevelop too, but I install the app with a the ADT command in a regular command line DOS box. (when it works)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines