• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AirDevelopment for Mobile: any study cases?

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi at all,

I have some experience with Flash and Air, but i stop the development during 2013 since Air in my opinion has some limitation

when you are developing for iOS: was slow at runtime until you use GPU. But using GPU for making UI staff, was not something

I was interested to move: then In 2013 I started using Object-C.

Today I was looking for some news, related to Adobe Air but I'm not able to see any "good project made with Air".

Even on Stackoverflow.com the numbers of questions are pretty low compared to different technology

I would be very happy to read about some good Study Case, some great game or some project made with Adobe Air for mobile: there are any?

This will help me to decide If there are a reason to came back in Air or still play in Native world.

Thank you,

D.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you try to make a search in Google (site:play.google.com "id=air."), you will be able to see tons of Android applications developed in Adobe AIR. Of course not all of them are great, but it should not be difficult to locate some great examples. Some of them even featured in both App Store and Google Play.

Having developed in AIR for years, I will say it's easy to develop something in AIR, but performance tuning is a headache.

If you are going for some GPU friendly UI controls, try to look at Feathers.

Feathers - Build user interfaces for games and applications with Feathers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the performance less an issue with time mainly because devices get faster.

My apps are not games but rather photo/social apps. So normally this is not the kind of app you make with air but looking a solution for mobile and desktop,  Air was a godsend for me. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to make it native being alone.

However I do use feathers  for certain parts like lists where feather is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2016 Jul 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with marcanw. Nowadays AIR app loads much faster than better.

However you will still notice some lags during app launch and frame skipping when scrolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I do not know if it is allowed to post app links here, but I assume in this context it should be alright. Friends of ours have an app called Neuronation, a brain jogging app, that was funded with a 7 digit budget by large investors and that is built with Air. It is available on iTunes and Google Play and was also featured on iTunes:

NeuroNation - brain training - Android Apps on Google Play

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2016 Jul 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh... Let me introduce the product done by my team as well. It's a higher education app, providing general campus information, schedule, etc.

CityU Mobile - Android Apps on Google Play

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines