Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternatives to AIR - suggestions, experiences and thoughts

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I am sure many here used alternatives to AIR as a mean to produce cross-platform apps. Might that be Xamarin, Unity, Flutter, Haxe, PhoneGap.

I would love to hear your opinions, experiences and thoughts.

Looking forward.

Cheers

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello PippoApps,

I have many years of experience with Flex/AIR on both Desktop and Mobile.

I'm using Xamarin right now on a new project for about 2 weeks now but in a spare time.

The goal is not to port any code but to recreate a small AIR Mobile App on Xamarin (will have a refresh layout but the same features) and after that evolve.

I have previous experience with C# (basically almost since exists) and no previous experience with Xamarin "workload".

Months before starting with Xamarin, I investigated about WebApp solutions, Xamarin and Flutter.

Did a trial with Flutter and Xamarin.

The first steps, was basically, Google search, test and apply.

As I move forward, I become more and more autonomous as I'm with Flex/AIR.

The Mobile it's more dangerous on AIR (my opinion) and it's easier to recreate (on my use case).

About my Desktop App, it's a different story and I will need a different approach (perhaps Haxe/OpenFl/FeathersUI in the future) but for now I will be concentrate to keep the current Desktop and finish the mobile one.

I also have dated Mobile Apps that I will not port not even update any more.

One thing is for sure, any new project will not be with AIR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For us it's mostly Typescript and WebGL right now and so web, Cordova and Ionic, overall performance is not very good but we get a lot of flexibility in term of platform and turnaround times. We really need to cover all platform and AIR was the best solution for us but once we lost the web target then we had to start looking for alternatives.

So if performance is not a concern then WebGL and typescript can get you on all platforms. Also an app that does code conversion between AS3 and Typescript is not too hard to put together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines