Highlighted

Android vs iOS item renderer performance issues

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be grateful if someone could help me with a couple of issues.

I have developed a simple AIR app using Flash Builder 4.7, AIR 4.0 sdk. This app has some lists with item renderers which are performing very differently to touch events in Android and iOS.

The original size of the item renderer was set at 50 pixels high. In Android, the item renderer resposnds fine to a touch event, but in iOS the item renderer does not respond at all. If I, however, increase the height of the item renderer to 100 pixels, the item renderer responds properly in iOS.

The item renderes in some of the lists include images which are set at a width of 15 pixels and height of 10 pixels. In iOS these images do not respond to touch events unless I increase the size to width of 60 / height 40 pixels. As you can imagine, at this size the images do not look good especially when compared to the rest of the objects that the iterm renderer contains.

I am new to Flex / Action Script / AIR development, so I don't understand why the app would behave so differently in Android vs iOS. I was hoping that someone from the AIR team can offer suggestions about what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advance.  

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Android vs iOS item renderer performance issues

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be grateful if someone could help me with a couple of issues.

I have developed a simple AIR app using Flash Builder 4.7, AIR 4.0 sdk. This app has some lists with item renderers which are performing very differently to touch events in Android and iOS.

The original size of the item renderer was set at 50 pixels high. In Android, the item renderer resposnds fine to a touch event, but in iOS the item renderer does not respond at all. If I, however, increase the height of the item renderer to 100 pixels, the item renderer responds properly in iOS.

The item renderes in some of the lists include images which are set at a width of 15 pixels and height of 10 pixels. In iOS these images do not respond to touch events unless I increase the size to width of 60 / height 40 pixels. As you can imagine, at this size the images do not look good especially when compared to the rest of the objects that the iterm renderer contains.

I am new to Flex / Action Script / AIR development, so I don't understand why the app would behave so differently in Android vs iOS. I was hoping that someone from the AIR team can offer suggestions about what I am doing wrong.

Thank you in advance.  

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 28, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure why they are behaving differently.  Here is the strategy I use and it has worked so far on both Android and iOS.

I code all of my touch events using mouse events (CLICK).  From my understanding, they are less intensive.

I make the entire stage an area that the user can interact with, instead of making individual images/movie clips.

When the user touches the stage, I determine the x-y coordinates of the area of the stage that has been touched.  Based on this, I then determine the course of action.  I had to use this approach as some of the objects the user is interacting with are very small and at times, were not responding to touch. 

This approach works for me, as all the objects I am clicking do not involve swipe actions and are simple taps/clicks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 04, 2014 0