• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

App name too long. How to show shorter name under iOS icon?

Engaged ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suppose I have an app called "Math Games For First Grade Kids" (this is just an example). If I use that name in the Animate export settings for AIR iOS, the under icon text on iPad screen will be "MathGamesFo…". Not good What I want is "Math Games". Of course, I can't rename my app to "Math Games" because that already exists on the App Store.

Is there a way to customize under icon text?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

You can name it Math Games. Your one has its own bundle ID, and the store listing for yours can show the full title. It's not out of the question that a user would install both your app and the other one, but that may not happen a lot.

You could experiment with different names to find the longest one that will fit. Perhaps 1st Grade Math would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can name it Math Games. Your one has its own bundle ID, and the store listing for yours can show the full title. It's not out of the question that a user would install both your app and the other one, but that may not happen a lot.

You could experiment with different names to find the longest one that will fit. Perhaps 1st Grade Math would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So App name in AIR settings and in the store listing can be different and even not very similar? For example "Math Games For First Grade Kids" in app store and "Add Numbers" as the App name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You can also localize the name. For example, you could have it as Add Numbers in the English markets and something else for other languages. The app-descriptor xml explains the system:

<name>Add Numbers</name>

<!-- To localize the name, use the following format for the name element.

<name>

<text xml:lang="en">English App name goes here</text>

<text xml:lang="fr">French App name goes here</text>

<text xml:lang="ja">Japanese App name goes here</text>

</name>

-->

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Colin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines