Highlighted

Application UI frame rate drop down / freeze problem

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm a member of a team developing a package of applications in AIR. The problem we encounter is that UI of our applications gets something like frame rate drop down or freezing during their running. It's not real frame rate drop down or freezing as it's actually something really different because applications are doing their job.

This happens rarely but when application is open for some time (in most cases without user interaction in it), after user wants to continue his work in application, application UI is not being updated until mouse pointer isn't rolled over some object, just changing to the frame at which animation should be regularly. So, basically, everything looks ok but as soon as user rolls mouse over an object, let we say an button which has roll over and roll out animations, it looks like nothing happens, button is not animating at all and, when user moves the mouse away, he can see that button is actually changed to the look of being rolled over with mouse and UI is frozen again. It looks like UI is updated only when user rolls the mouse over some object that has an interaction or animation within self. So if you are moving the mouse constantly over the application and objects inside, application animations looks like they work (but chopping a bit), but only when mouse rolls over and out of objects.

I have tested frame rate when this happens and AIR tells me that its the same as at the beginning so frame rate does not actually dropping down. And if you look at the application behavior when you roll the mouse over it, you see that application isn't frozen because it's actually running and doing its work but only without updating UI. At the first, I though that frame rate has been changed when application enters in USER IDLE mode and does not get back to the original frame rate later, but this is not the case.

This problems happens with more than one application in our package (applications are independent from each other). During our developing, we used different versions of AIR SDK's and this problems happens on all AIR versions.

Is there something we don't know within the AIR runtime which can cause this problem? As I said above, this is not happening always and we cannot find the reason why it happens. I don't know will this help but applications are done within transparent window without window chrome.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Application UI frame rate drop down / freeze problem

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm a member of a team developing a package of applications in AIR. The problem we encounter is that UI of our applications gets something like frame rate drop down or freezing during their running. It's not real frame rate drop down or freezing as it's actually something really different because applications are doing their job.

This happens rarely but when application is open for some time (in most cases without user interaction in it), after user wants to continue his work in application, application UI is not being updated until mouse pointer isn't rolled over some object, just changing to the frame at which animation should be regularly. So, basically, everything looks ok but as soon as user rolls mouse over an object, let we say an button which has roll over and roll out animations, it looks like nothing happens, button is not animating at all and, when user moves the mouse away, he can see that button is actually changed to the look of being rolled over with mouse and UI is frozen again. It looks like UI is updated only when user rolls the mouse over some object that has an interaction or animation within self. So if you are moving the mouse constantly over the application and objects inside, application animations looks like they work (but chopping a bit), but only when mouse rolls over and out of objects.

I have tested frame rate when this happens and AIR tells me that its the same as at the beginning so frame rate does not actually dropping down. And if you look at the application behavior when you roll the mouse over it, you see that application isn't frozen because it's actually running and doing its work but only without updating UI. At the first, I though that frame rate has been changed when application enters in USER IDLE mode and does not get back to the original frame rate later, but this is not the case.

This problems happens with more than one application in our package (applications are independent from each other). During our developing, we used different versions of AIR SDK's and this problems happens on all AIR versions.

Is there something we don't know within the AIR runtime which can cause this problem? As I said above, this is not happening always and we cannot find the reason why it happens. I don't know will this help but applications are done within transparent window without window chrome.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 29, 2014 0

Have something to add?