Highlighted

Apps crashing with iOS8

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of our published apps that ran well with iOS 7.1.2 are now crashing or hanging on iOS8.

I've tried recompiling with AIR 15.0.0.289, but they are both failing in the same place.

Interestingly both apps are able to install and get past the launch image. The issue is when I'm loading assets into memory.

I'm wondering if memory management has changed in iOS 8?

Both apps were pushing the limits of memory, but still working in iOS7. Did Apple reduce the max app memory limit in iOS8?

Other details:

One app uses standard Flash DisplayList.

The other app uses Starling.

Tested on 2 iPad AIRs (one iOS7, one iOS8)

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Apps crashing with iOS8

Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two of our published apps that ran well with iOS 7.1.2 are now crashing or hanging on iOS8.

I've tried recompiling with AIR 15.0.0.289, but they are both failing in the same place.

Interestingly both apps are able to install and get past the launch image. The issue is when I'm loading assets into memory.

I'm wondering if memory management has changed in iOS 8?

Both apps were pushing the limits of memory, but still working in iOS7. Did Apple reduce the max app memory limit in iOS8?

Other details:

One app uses standard Flash DisplayList.

The other app uses Starling.

Tested on 2 iPad AIRs (one iOS7, one iOS8)

TOPICS
Air beta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2014 0
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We did some spot checking of our Starling app on iOS 8 and found no problems, but I don't know that we're terribly tight on memory.  Next time I fire up Scout I'll report on our usage.

There is a way to look at crash reports and determine if it is a memory limitation or a code crash -- I forget now just how to do that, though, sorry.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2014 0
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a look a the crash reports and it doesn't seem like a memory issue.

For those interested, this is where you can find the crash reports:

Mac OS X:

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>

Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>

Windows Vista or 7:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs\CrashReporter\MobileDevice\<DEVICE_NAME>

This article was also helpful:

Demystifying iOS Application Crash Logs - Ray Wenderlich

I did a search for the keyword "jettisoned" in the crash logs to try to identify Low Memory issues, but found none.

I think the important info from my crash log is this:

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Triggered by Thread:  5

At this point I'm reading greek, so it's off to Google:

According to Stack Overflow: objective c - How to track down cause of SIGABRT - Stack Overflow

SIGABRT rises when an object receives unimplemented message.

Anybody have a clue how to fix this issue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2014 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

Could you possible share a sample app at govindag@adobe.com so that we can analyse the issue ?

Thanks

Govinda Gupta

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2014 0
NFB_VM LATEST
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Govinda, I've emailed you links to both apps.

Cheers,

Vincent

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2014 0