• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to restrict devices on iOS?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the best way to restrict the compatibility of my AIR app so that users with iPhone/iPod 1st - 3rd generation can't download it from the app store?

I'm just about to submit my AIR app to Apple app store & have designed it so that it works well on iPhone/iPod 4+ and all iPads. So, I'd like to exclude users with older iPhones/iPods from being able to download it.

I've searched online and a number of people suggest adding a restriction based on requiring a front facing camera.

i.e. adding the following line to the info.plist file:

<key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key><string>front-facing-camera</string>

But, I read posts from some people who tried this and it didn't work - it didn't exclude iPhone 3GS. See the last post here.

Can anyone confirm this is a reliable method? I understand there's a small chance Apple will reject your app based on the fact that you're adding an unnecessary exclusion - i.e. my app doesn't actually require a front facing camera.

Also, I've noticed that another approach is to restrict the OS version. If you restrict the minimum OS version to 6.2, that should exclude iPhone/iPod 1st - 3rd generation as iPhone 3GS only goes up to OS 6.1.6, I believe.

So, the solution would be to add the following to the xml application descriptor file:

<key>MinimumOSVersion</key>
<string>6.2</string>

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 07, 2014 Aug 07, 2014

The 3GS does not support OS7 (OS6.1.6 I believe is last) so you can simply require OS7.

To do that, in your <InfoAdditions>, you can specify like so:

<string>7.0</string>

edit:

Heh yes I see you were doing your homework. You can choose 6.2 but there's really no reason. iPad1 is locked in OS5 so you lose that (very small part of the market) but iPad2 and up supports OS7 as well as iPhone 4 so to cut off 3GS and below you really only need to specify OS7 and up. 6.2 would wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 3GS does not support OS7 (OS6.1.6 I believe is last) so you can simply require OS7.

To do that, in your <InfoAdditions>, you can specify like so:

<string>7.0</string>

edit:

Heh yes I see you were doing your homework. You can choose 6.2 but there's really no reason. iPad1 is locked in OS5 so you lose that (very small part of the market) but iPad2 and up supports OS7 as well as iPhone 4 so to cut off 3GS and below you really only need to specify OS7 and up. 6.2 would work as well. If you need iPad1 support then this isn't ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks sinious! Very helpful. Your suggestion makes sense. I just looked up the latest adoption stats and it looks like 90% of users

are on iOS 7.

I guess I'm wondering if restricting the OS version is the *best* way to exclude iPod/iPhone 1st-3rd gen.

It's seems like many people are adding

<key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key><string>front-facing-camera</string>

to the info-additions section of their XML application descriptor file. But I understand this comes with a small risk Apple will reject your app (because it imposes a restriction you don't actually use). Also, I've read of one post where someone said this didn't exclude iPhone 3GS for him.

So, I'm wondering out of the two approaches - 1) front-facing-camera and 2) restricting OS version to 7.0 or higher - which one most people use and their experiences with them. Which one's the best? Are they both considered reliable?

I just don't want to screw up my app submission. I here that if you get app approved with a compatibility for a particular device (eg. iPhone 3GS), you can't remove it in updates.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you answered yourself on that last part. If you require a feature you don't even use, Apple can reject you. I've been rejected for far lesser offenses. I believe you lucked out with the exact market you want to remove can be eliminated with a simple OS version. Usually it's never that easy and I know for a fact that you will not be rejected for requiring OS7. Even though it removes iPad1, the iPad1 doesn't have a front facing camera either so essentially both techniques have the same effect.

I would go with the technique that you can't be denied for, require OS7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sinious!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2014 Aug 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(was on vaca) You're welcome and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines