Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera publishing frame rate - slow

Participant ,
Mar 13, 2015 Mar 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We're creating a video chat app which will work across desktop, iOS and Android.

Everything is working fine except that the published stream suffers from a low frame rate - averaging around 7fps.

This is really annoying especially as the camera is capturing at approx 30fps.

We're using a beefy server running Wowza or AMS but the issue seems to be on the publishing side in the Air app.

Has anyone else experienced this or any one know of optimum settings to get that frame rate higher?

It seems like it might be a bug with Air to be honest as I wouldn't have thought publishing would put that much strain on the CPU to reduce the frame rate that much.

Thanks,

Dave.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Have you been able to profile your application under Scout?  Was it able to give you any clues where time is being spent?

Free Scout CC | Download Adobe Scout

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Sure, we used Scout and it showed the CPU was maxing out over 100%.

When the app wasn't publishing over the NetStream then CPU usage was around 30%. Which in itself seems high when there wasn't anything else going on and no other apps in the background.

This demo app we're using just displays the camera feed using a video object and then publish that feed directly to the streaming server. We've stripped out all other functionality while we address these video issues.

I can ask my guys to provide more detail regarding the Scout reports on Monday morning. But, until then what kind of CPU usage would you expect this process to consume? We're exporting video using the H.264 profile.

Doesn't the native camera utilise H.264 video and so other than encoding the audio to Speex I wouldn't have thought there's too much encoding/transcoding occurring? Just seems odd...

Any advice or ideas much appreciated!

Along these same lines...is there a reason why Air doesn't export/publish the video stream as H.264 and AAC since iOS already provides those? Is it a codec licensing issue? Just curious since Speex really isn't the best quality especially when we're going to be using this in a context where we'll be streaming live music events/gigs.

Thanks,

Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Dave ,

Did you got any solution? i am also facing same issue .

Thanks,

Projjwal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines