• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can adobe air send SMS on ios and android without opening the native sms app?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to programatically create and send an SMS text message on android and ios using adobe AIR? I have had success using navigatetourl to create the sms message, but was curious to know if its something that AIR is capable of or if os-specific native development is required to accomplish this.

I'm using flash builder 4.6 and AIR 15.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe you can directly through AIR and AS3 alone, but you could make a Native Extension to do the job for Android. Not sure about iOS though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I figured as much... I've gotta take off my training wheels and eventually move towards Native Extension development to do some of these types of native functions... scared to, but theres no way around it I guess.   Assuming you have experience, is Native Extension development a steep learning curve ( I know its all relative though )?

Thanks for replying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not the best/smartest programmer in the world and I was able to eventually get it down. There are a decent number of tutorials that you can follow to get started on them. I originally followed Lee Brimelow's video tutorials on gotoandlearn.com but the interfaces for Eclipse have changed quite a bit since then and those videos were also done when Native Extensions were only part of a beta version of AIR, but you might still be able to take something away from them. Since I first started getting into Native Extensions, I have built several ANEs for Android including being able to detect phone calls, retrieve metadata for media files without having to have loaded/played them first, and more. The Android Java documentation portal and Stack Overflow will start to become your two best friends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

developing ane's can be quite daunting. I haven't got me feet wet yet either. But as far as implamenting them It's quite easy, if you are willing to purchase some quality ANE. There are some decent free ones but I started purchasing some, I got most of MILKMANGAMES because the documentation provided takes all the guess work out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines