Highlighted

Can't install Adobe Air on Mac OS 10.5.6

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I cannot, for the life of me, get Adobe AIR to install on my Mac Pro. Whenever I open the installer I get this message:
quote:

An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

I AM, in fact, the administrator of this computer and I'm logged into said account, but I continue to get this error. I made sure to repair my permissions, but of course that proved nothing. Can anyone provide some insight into this? I don't know how to get the installer to log and/or where to find these logs, so help with that would be great too.

Thanks!
Tyler
TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't install Adobe Air on Mac OS 10.5.6

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I cannot, for the life of me, get Adobe AIR to install on my Mac Pro. Whenever I open the installer I get this message:
quote:

An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

I AM, in fact, the administrator of this computer and I'm logged into said account, but I continue to get this error. I made sure to repair my permissions, but of course that proved nothing. Can anyone provide some insight into this? I don't know how to get the installer to log and/or where to find these logs, so help with that would be great too.

Thanks!
Tyler
TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 10, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you an older air version installed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, that would be important information to include. My apologies. I have Adobe Creative Suite installed and I believe it "installed" version 1.1 on my computer but I cannot seem to locate it. Adobe's uninstaller doesn't allow for the uninstallation of AIR, so I'm confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you find Adobe AIR Uninstaller in /Applications/Utilities?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking in my Utilities folder, I find the following:

• Adobe Installer/Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium

That appears to be an alias to the Adobe uninstaller for Creative Suite in my Application Support folder. Opening this uninstaller allows me to essentially uninstall EVERYTHING except AIR.

There are also these folders...

• Adobe Utilities/Adobe Updater6
• Adobe Utilities/ExtendScript Toolkit CS4
• Adobe Utilities/Pixel Bender Toolkit

I tried using Spotlight to find anything to do with Adobe AIR. I tried searching "Adobe AIR", "AdobeAIR", "AIR" and of course "Adobe", and I could not find an application called Adobe AIR nor could I find an uninstaller.

Is it possible it could be hidden? Does that happen? I'm such a computer dunce.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 0
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so after looking ALL over the damned internet, I finally found a solution to my problem. So, as it turns out, I did in fact have an old version of AIR installed somewhere on my computer. But, there wasn't an uninstaller to be found. So, I found some code to use in Terminal to use the latest installer to uninstall the program.

"./Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

This didn't quite work for me. It attempted to uninstall all versions of AIR but it failed.

After searching some more, I found that I could use the following code to allow some "extra privileges" in order to successfully uninstall the program.

sudo "./Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

It prompted me for a password, I entered the admin password and voila!

I then opened the Adobe AIR installer and it works like a charm.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 13, 2009 0
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyler - I've had EXACTLY this same problem with the Creative Suite and until now haven't seen anyone else who had the same situa

tion or any solution. Your solution was spot on. I had to make one little change in the sudo command (no spaces in the .app name).

sudo "./AdobeAIRInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

Thanks. Now I can finally run Tweetdeck and Balsamiq on Mac OS X.

Mitchell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2009 0
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it mean to post some code. I have never done this.I do not know where to put in the code. I tried deleting adobe air from frameworks, but it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 12, 2010 0
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; the

sudo "Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Air Installer" -uninstall

worked perfectly for me after I made my way to the Applications directory. Glad to finally find this after suffering with missing features & help for a couple of years now. (Running MacOS X 10.6.8; never had working help for Photoshop Elements 8 or 9 until now.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2011 0