• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't make StageVideo play in AIR for Android

Participant ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get no video, but only audio, to display when including H.264-encoded .mp4 video in a test AIR for Android project. AIR for iOS video performance is ok with the same encoding parameters.

I know that there's been lot's of discussion about this in the past, but are there any answers? Is there any formulation of video that will play via AIR for Android?

I'm testing on a Samsung Galaxy 4 on Android 5.0.1.

In the past, on earlier Android versions, I got dodgy but occasional playback of video built into an AIR for Android app, but when I run that app now the video fails repeatedly.

This must be an AIR problem because when I simply dump the same video, that I've built into my AIR app, onto the Galaxy 4 directly it plays just fine.

My work for a client is depending on this to function in Android. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Before we start, what version of AIR are you using?  We recently rearchitected video on Android, and I'd like to make sure you're up to date.  The latest version is AIR 22 (AIR 23 will be released next month).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before we start, what version of AIR are you using?  We recently rearchitected video on Android, and I'd like to make sure you're up to date.  The latest version is AIR 22 (AIR 23 will be released next month).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking at this Chris. I WAS using version 19 but I set up AIR 22 tonight and repackaged my little test. There's at least one new problem now -- my .apk packaged with adt comes out at 1.4 GB! The apk from the same material out of Flash CS5.5 is 17 MB. I'll assume that I'm not optimizing something, but what? This enormous file won't even load onto my Samsung phone.

My project uses just a main (document) class and another to play a video (17MB) which is packaged with the project.

By the way, if I simply install the apk published from Flash to my Galaxy 4 and play it with the shared runtime -

no probs. But, of course, captive runtime is what we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that sounds very wrong   Could you try examining the APK file with 7-zip or winrar to see what's taking up all that space?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. My error in packaging -- I forgot that everything in the folder that contains the .swf and application descriptor gets included as an 'asset' when we package with adt!

And, it looks like the stageVideo problem has gone away! At least it has on my small test file. Tomorrow I'll try to package my big app and will report results here. Thanks much for your help. If all's well I'll call your AIR 22 answer 'Correct'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long live Adobe AIR and you AIR engineers! Video is good on Android with AIR 22. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to hear it worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines