Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crash on iPad 3 & 4 + ios7 with AIR 4

Mar 25, 2014 Mar 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested my app (AIR w/GPU render mode) succesfully on iPad mini 2 and a Nexus 7 2012, but since I have released a 2nd version to the app store, I had reports of crash after assets are rendered to bitmaps (my app display a "rendering assets x/5" on startup). It may be since the first release a week sooner but I had no report from users. So I naturally assumed that this was a memory problem and I reduced memory usage considerably.

But apparently it was not the case, after all I was only using 60MB according to scout... My app still crash on some iPad 3/4, I say some because it maybe inconsistant since Apple reviewers approved the newer version, even after I request an expedited review mentioning the crash on iPad 3/4. I'm totally lost here ! I thought about using the last SDK (13), but it doesn't work with flash pro CC; test / debug crash if it even start (failed launch), exactly like when I try to test / debug in the mobile AIR debug launcher. Please someone help !

I use :

No ANE, greensock lib, Config constants and sharedobject, AIR 4.0.0.1619 sdk.

TOPICS
Performance issues

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any luck with this problem? Does anyone from Adobe even read these forums?

I am trying to find the cause of a problem that sounds very similar. It is an instant crash where the whole game suddenly exits, and it only happens with a release build. The problem can be reproduced 100% reliably on iPad 3, iPad 4 and iPad air, but it does not occur on iPhone 4, iPod 4, and iPad 1.

I set up a lot of logging code to try and pinpoint the location of the crash, by sending the log messages to a webserver. Unfortunately, due to the ridiculous design of forced asynchronous web requests, the log messages arrive in messed up order, making that approach a failure.

My next approach was to use a global error handler, and this works great when I force an intentional crash (eg. var abc:Array = null; abc[123];) but the error handler is never triggered by the real crash I am looking for. wtf?

What are other methods for diagnosing problems in release builds that I might be missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

all I can remember is that was related to the way I was declaring many classes (graphics from library) to force them to compile (because they were dynamically called); Cannot say how but I remember it was a weird shortcut to declare them, I cleaned up my code and it worked... sorry I cannot be more precise. What I do now is declare them all in one array: var keys = [A1,A2,A3].

The only way I could diagnose this problem was with the help of someone that reported the crash, I made a test version for him with a text field displaying the various steps of initialization, luckily each step was taking some time so the user could tell me at which step the app crashes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines