Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

disable or trap multitouch gestures

Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an air app that provides the content for an iPad on a kiosk.  While most multi-touch gestures do not affect the application, simultaneously drawing the fingers inward deactivates the application.  This is not something we'd want users to do.  I know that we could run in kiosk mode to prevent this, but I am wondering if there is another method either to disable this gesture or to trap it. 

If we could trap it, then we could allow it to be used with a password for example.  As the home button is covered by the kiosk enclosure this could provide an alternative for accessing non-kiosk content on the device.

Any information will be appreciates.

Best,

C.S.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 21, 2014 Jun 21, 2014

The iOS 7/8 gestures feature is set in Settings/General/Multitasking Gestures.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are bound to be times when you would have to use the Home button, as the only way to recover from a situation (like, if things were locked up and you had to hold the home button and power button to hard reset the iPad). In a kiosk I programmed we put a paper clip sized hole in front of the home button. That way we could turn off the gestures feature to stop people from exiting the app, and turn on kiosk mode so that anyone with a paper clip still couldn’t get out of the app without knowing the password.

There is a deactivate event, if you had gestures turned on you might be able to launch another app if the user tried to quit. Or you could have a feature in the app that after the user has entered the right password you would launch an app that didn’t require a password in order to quit.

But that all seems like a lot of effort, compared to just having a paper clip sized hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your input.

First, there is a paper clip sized hole. I just think providing a method

that doesn¹t involve poking the home button with a paper clip might save

some wear and tear.

I haven¹t done much with gestures. Can you point me to something that would

describe how to disable them? A web search as turned up very little.

Meanwhile, I will see what I can do with the deactivate event.

Thanks again,

C.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The iOS 7/8 gestures feature is set in Settings/General/Multitasking Gestures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

I¹m developing using Flash CS6 and don¹t see any settings related to

Multitasking Gestures. Are you using a different platform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was referring to the iPad. Go into settings, general, multitasking gestures, and turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh- Duh. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines