• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit Info.plist Within a Published .ipa File to Enable iOS Newsstand Support?

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on developing a magazine-style app using Flash CS5. I'd like to enable iOS Newsstand support for the exported .ipa file. Anyone have any experience with this? I believe that I'd need to edit the app's info.plist file within the exported .ipa bundle ...

Experiences / thoughts?

Ted

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Hi Ted:

I have not implemented this yet. But as I can read on http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/StoreKit/Reference/NewsstandKit_Framework/_index.html, editing info.plist might take your app to newsstand but to take advantage of any NewsStand feature  you will also need to write some Native Extension also that provides access to NKLibrary , NKIssue NKAssetDownload.

I think http://www.viggiosoft.com/blog/blog/2011/10/17/ios-newsstand-tutorial/ this will help you do some newsstand

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ted:

Changing Info.plist of published app will make the package invalid and you will need to re-sign it(Which is possible only Mac).

AIR provides a cleaner approach.

You can have all your info.plist custom key/values inside the infoAdditions tag in your app xml. These tags will automatically appear in your published apps info.plist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your helpful response, Saumitra. I see that I need to edit the "appname"-app.xml within my project folder before compiling to an .ipa, not edit the .plist after compilation. Do you think that I'll be able to enable iOS "Newsstand" support by editing my app.xml file?

Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ted:

I have not implemented this yet. But as I can read on http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/StoreKit/Reference/NewsstandKit_Framework/_ind..., editing info.plist might take your app to newsstand but to take advantage of any NewsStand feature  you will also need to write some Native Extension also that provides access to NKLibrary , NKIssue NKAssetDownload.

I think http://www.viggiosoft.com/blog/blog/2011/10/17/ios-newsstand-tutorial/ this will help you do some newsstand stuff in native code.

If you ever use newsstand, I would love to see your app, please share your iTunes link.

best of luck,

thanks,

Saumitra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saumitra,

Thanks so much for your additional helpful pointers. Sure, I'll share the link to the app if we deploy it.

Thanks!

Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines