Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Facebook will break on iOS9 unless we take action

Advocate ,
Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

today I received an email by Facebook that our games will stop functioning in iOS 9 unless we take action (needless to say this is a nice announcement 1 week ahead of the release, given the Apple review process): https://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/2015/09/10/new-SDK-for-iOS9/

- What is not clear is, will we have to adapt these changes even if we are building against the iOS 8 SDK, or will apps using the iOS 8 SDK continue to work normally?

- Also I could not find any information which version of the iOS SDK is included in the latest Air SDK (18.0.0.199), where do I find this piece of information?

TIA

Ruben

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 11, 2015 Sep 11, 2015

iOS 8 apps will run on iOS 9. Apple supports legacy. They're good like that. The Facebook thing is only if you want to use Xcode 7 & iOS 9 but I'm not sure about the Facebook API. You'd have to read that article carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe AIR 18 only compiles only up to iOS 8. AIR 19 beta is suppose to do iOS 9 but read that there's a bug and it cannot. What you can do is download the Xcode 7 beta and point Flash builder or ADT build to -platformsdk /app/xcode-beta/directory/to/iphone_ios9.sdk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if it will continue to work fine when compiled with iOS SDK 8 or do we have to submit an iOS 9 build asap to prevent it from being broken?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iOS 8 apps will run on iOS 9. Apple supports legacy. They're good like that. The Facebook thing is only if you want to use Xcode 7 & iOS 9 but I'm not sure about the Facebook API. You'd have to read that article carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my AIR apps continue to run in iOS 9.1. The topic here is the Facebook SDK. Do you use that SDK directly yourself, or through something like GoViral? If you're using it though someone else's ANE, I would expect them to update to the new SDK.

I'm not sure if existing Facebook apps will continue to work after the new SDK is out, but my guess is that they will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand, iOS 9 requires calls to non https URLs to be whitelisted in the plist, otherwise the call will not be allowed. As a result, older versions of the Facebook SDK will break. The question is, will this behavior only be triggered in apps that have been compiled against iOS 9 SDK, or will it happen for all apps that run on iOS 9, regardless of the SDK they were compiled against?

Colin you are right that this is actually not related to Air, but maybe someone knows the answer. As a sidenote, we are using GoViral but they havent updated the ANE yet, and if the deadline is really on 16th of September, it will be impossible to have a fixed version of the app reviewed until then.

Edit: Sorry professor I missed your 2nd post, okay if you are right then we should be safe for now and we have some time left to wait for GoViral to publish an update, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have emailed milkman games to see if he is working on an update to GoViral.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear that the GoViral update is about to go out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I just received the email with GoViral 5.0.0 and it's said that GoViral 4.7.0 compiled with Air 18 should continue to work for now, which is even better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!  This is Alex from Milkman.  The GoViral Facebook ANE does support iOS 9.  I've just made a blog post here with the details about Facebook and iOS 9 in Adobe AIR.  If you have any questions feel free to Tweet them and I'll keep an eye on this post today too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Alex, this is great news.

As I stupidly updated to XCode 7 yesterday, my builds stopped working. Seems Iphone SDK 9.0 misses a couple binaries AIR uses to package the ipa.

I had to download Xcode 6.4 in order to retrieve Iphone 8.4 SDK and start packaging again.

Then my test runner started rotating in portrait mode (while app-descriptor sets aspectRatio to landscape and autoOrients to false), which was fixed by leaving the descriptor with default values (any, true) and tinkering with StageOrientationChangeEvent (which, by the way, feels like adding unnecessary code, and who does not hate that)

And finally no input events are working.

I feel like running Indianapolis riding a bicycle with a blown tire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate that updating xcode often has problems/bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I would suggest not using the platformsdk switch in AIR SDK until a new AIR SDK with iOS 9 libs built in ships.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines