• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File.getDirectoryListing() and browseForOpen() no longer working in Android OS 4.4.2

Participant ,
Sep 20, 2014 Sep 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As of Android 4.4.2 ( aka. API 19 - Kit Kat ), it appears that File.userDirectory.getDirectoryListing() is no longer returning anything.  Also, a call to File.userDirectory.browseForOpen() causes my app to crash instantly.

Both functions work fine in Android 4.3 ( aka. API 18 - Jelly Bean ), however.

Did something change, or are new permissions required for using the File API, in 4.4.2?

My setup:  I am testing in AVD ( Android Virtual Device ).  My app is compiled with AIR SDK 14.0.0.178 ( note: the app crashes on load if compiled with AIR 15.0.0.249, but that's due to a different problem ).

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Ok.  I figured it out.

Ever since the new sd card requirements for Android KitKat, an 3rd-party app must request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in the app manifest, in order to access public folders on the sd card, such as: the sd card's root ( /sdcard ) where music files get copied by default, for example.

Interesting write-up on the issue:

External Blues: Google Has Brought Big Changes To SD Cards In KitKat, And Even Samsung Is Implementing Them

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2014 Sep 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok.  I figured it out.

Ever since the new sd card requirements for Android KitKat, an 3rd-party app must request the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission in the app manifest, in order to access public folders on the sd card, such as: the sd card's root ( /sdcard ) where music files get copied by default, for example.

Interesting write-up on the issue:

External Blues: Google Has Brought Big Changes To SD Cards In KitKat, And Even Samsung Is Implementi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines