• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a simple chat function in a mobile app for iOS and Android

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering how can I create a chat function in my mobile app creating in AIR and Flex. The chat should be similar to the one in WhatsApp.

Do you know some possible solutions?

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To enable chat messages, you need a server. The kind of server depends on the application. Do you want to create a chat like application like WhatsApp, where the server pushes messages without an active connection? Or do you have some sort of online game, where chat messages can only be transferred when the client is connected already?

I have an online game where clients are connected to a Java server at all time. From there it is pretty straight forward:

2 textfields:

- 1 line textfield for input messages

- multi-line textfield for chat history. Make sure the textfields autoscrolls to the bottom when the content changes

on enter or button push, send a socket message to the server.

the server broadcasts all messages to all clients that are subscribers of the chat group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need an application where chat messages can only be transfered when the client is connected.

I would be grateful if you give me some examples of what servers should I use? Also if you can recommend me some resourses where I can read more about this topic.

As I have never made chat applications, and I really do not know where to start from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check out www.smartfoxserver.com, they have a powerful, easy to use online game server that is extendible with Java. You want the SFS2X version. The community edition for up to 100 players is free and it already comes with a chat protocol that is straight forward to implement. They have all sorts of documentation, tutorials and an ActionScript client library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines