• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can this be normal?

Engaged ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it normal that empty Starling project consumes 9MB memory (I am not saying that Starling consumes it, maybe Flash Virtual machine consumes it) over 9 minutes of playing?

Look at this Adobe Scout profile that was recorded for empty Starling project:

https://goo.gl/Xw2MVa

On the frame 32 222 (around 8:59 on the time line) you can see that GC finaly cleans the memory and it took it 19ms. That is more than entire budget for 60FPS game.

I have also watched adl process in the windows Task Manager and memory was really increased by 9MB.

I am using latest Starling from master branch and Adobe AIR SDK 28.0.0.125 with Flash Builder 4.7.

How can we make any game if this is the behavior of empty Starling project or empty Flash project who ever is responsible for this behaviour?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 21, 2018 Jan 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9MB of memory does not seem much

Did you try to run an empty project and then compare the size?

Did you try to run an empty project and then instantiate a ByteArray, and then compare the size?

etc.

Are you assuming that it should consume 0MB of memory because the project is empty?

what is the size of your stage?

Don't assume that external assets size have the same size in memory
for ex a ~2MB PNG could expand to 10MB+ in memory

on top of Scout you can also use the Flash Builder profiler
where you will be able to take memory snapshot, find loitering objects, etc.
Adobe Flash Builder 4.7 * Using the Flash Builder profiler

Who says 9MB is too much? and why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes empty AIR project (no flex) is around 4/5M for me and empty AIR project for mobile is around 5/6M, now I'm talking completely empty, no starling involved. If you really want to find out which does what then remove completely starling from that empty project and make a comparison then you'll know for sure how much starling contributes to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines