• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do you tell iOS simulator which model to launch in Flash Build 4.7?

Participant ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that in XCODE 9.3 the iOS simulator now has the ability to run multiple versions of the simulator on the screen at the same time. However, when i export, the build packaging in Flash Builder 4.7 only shows 3 choices: Iphone, Ipad, and iphone retina.In my case i am wanting to see how it will look on all the different iphone models, but when i turn on in the hardware menu of the simulator other iphone models it doesn't copy over the launchable icon, so i can only see my program running in the iphone 6 simulator. How do we coerce the simulator to launch a particular form of the hardware. I see previous comments about exporting a path name, but this is Flash Builder, i used to be able to reboot the simulator as a different machine, but now when you pick a new hardware emulation it doesn't do what i would expect.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a way to do what you're asking, but i know a way to do what you want. I'll write an article about this some time, but here are the basics:

Say you want to test your app on iPhone X, iOS 11.0.1. In the Devices and Simulators window in Xcode is a list of Simulators, if you select one you see its Identifier, which is also the name of the folder in Finder:

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 8.35.01 AM.png

The simulator folders are in here:

~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/

In my case ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/3799AA57-5C24-41FA-B343-7E02B57AAE43/ is that iPhone X simulator. If you also look for the identifier for the simulator that Flash builder is invoking (can be any of the ones it can do), you can find the folder where it installed too. Imagine these are them:

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 8.41.10 AM.png

If you delete the data folder in the iPhone X one, and copy across the data folder from the simulator that Flash Builder installed into, you can then open an iPhone X window in Simulator, and your app will be already installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, so much for this @Colin.  It's the ONLY thing I could get that works.  Unfortunately my app isn't rotating as it should in the simulator, but that's another story / thread.  THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also check this discussion, which seems to work for some people:

Re: testing apps in iPhone X simulator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried setting the environment variable as per the other link, it doesn't work. I will try copying over the data as you suggest to see if i can get it to run on iPhoneX. that pesky notch has to be handled properly. such a bad idea to have the notch really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The manual copy of the data folder works, so at least i can see what it looks like on the iPhone X. I do think that Adobe needs to figure out how to pick the simulator; clearly the menu that is offered in the debug window is not connected to the list of actual simulators one can choose from (which is a very long list now), and needs to be updated to match the latest OSX. It is such a pain in the rear that i will build my own notch simulation that i can toggle the notch on and off so that i make sure my interface looks okay. Now it is an interesting thing, how does one know if a notch is needed? We know from rumors that Apple has 3 more iphones coming, and they haven't offered a flag of some sort to check for "Notchiness".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get that far, getting it to fill the screen just depends on having the Default-812h@3x~iphone.png splash screen.

For deciding whether to make a button hug the corner (landscape app) or stay in the center (which would be under the notch), I just check the aspect ratio of the screen. If it's wide enough that it's probably iPhone X, I use the corner. Some S8/S9 users may get buttons in the corner too, but that's ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I usually do is just use the AIR simulator in FlashBuilder but say the target is Android, and then create custom configurations that match the various iOS devices... for example:

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines