• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How serious is the lack of AIR support for x86 Android devices?

Participant ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to know if I've understood this right, and what the implications are.

I've come to understand that certain Android devices, specifically those with x86 processors (such as Samsung Tab 3) cannot run apps built with AIR, or at least will run them extremely slowly to the point of being useless.

First of all, is this true?

Secondly, what are the implications? If a segment of users in Google Play cannot properly run the apps we build for Android, this is almost an argument for not building Android apps at all, since those users will give extremely poor reviews - and in any case, we will end up with a percentage of Android users being extremely dissatisfied with the app and complaining.

Can anyone tell me if I understand the situation correctly, and what is the current assessment of the seriousness of the problem?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a friend who has hit this issue, but I’m not sure if th performance is a bit bad, or very bad. I’ll ask him tonight.

Meanwhile, looking at this page:

http://developer.android.com/google/play/filters.html

suggests that if you include an ANE that has ARMv7 specific code in it (which I guess most ANEs will have), then Google Play will not show that app to x86 users. I haven’t tested that, but I do have apps in the store that are using ANE. If I can find an x86 user I should be able to check that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I made the mistake of buying a Tab 3 specifically for testing my AIR apps on a tablet! Not totally unplayable on there, but certainly off the pace. I get more complaints from users that can't run AIR apps at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you look for these apps on your Tab 3, to see if they show for you?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.BroomstickProductions.MeetHeckerty.A1

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.air.com.hitentertainment.CastleGames

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, both show up on a search in Google Play.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh well…

I only use a couple of ANEs there, and maybe they’re not using ARMv7 specific code, but just calling the Android OS functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strangely enough, I'm getting decent 3D performance out of it (with Flare 3D at least) so maybe that's what the future holds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct, and yes, this is indeed a very critical issue for many : https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3651397

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our apps made with AIR seem to crash or hang on a black screen when played on x86 devices like the Galaxy Tab 3.  This could be a serious issue moving forward if more and more Android devices are released with x86 processors instead of ARMv7.

Unfortunately Adobe hasn't made any announcements about supporting Intel x86 chips for Android, and seeing as these tablets have been out for months now, you would think they'd have mentioned something by now if they were going to support it.  It doesn't bode well for the future of using AIR for Android development if more and more manufacturers switch to x86...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same thing.

I have choosen to exclude the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 from the supported device list in Google Play Developer Console.

Does anyone know of a list of Android Devices that use a x86 chip? Is it just the Tab3? Or should I exclude other devices too?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 21, 2014 Apr 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a version of my game running properly in x86 now, but I obviously can't have that replacing the default APK.

Does anybody have any experience or advice about hosting multiple APKs on Google Play? Their official guidance seems overcomplicated to me:
Multiple APK Support | Android Developers

I don't want to mess with my default listing until I have a clearer idea of what I should be uploading...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had the same problem... the version numbering system confused me....

I ended up using this scheme.... for version 1.4 of my app

The ARM version number was 0400141

The 86X version number was 0486141  (Higher version number for 86X if including air runtime)

If you include the air runtime with your app  it 86X version should have a higher version number.

In not i believe it is supposed to be the lower number....

Then when you go to upload your APK's switch on advanced mode.

Seems to work....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines