• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install an AIR android app without deleting the data generated by the previous version

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2015 Feb 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an android app developed using adobe AIR SDK 16 and Flash CS6. Every time i publish/debug the app directly in the connected device. But every time i publish the app the data(image, text files) saved in the application storage directory including the sqlite file is removed. Hence i have to recreate all the data again to test. Is there a way to install/public an apk without losing the data created by the installed app? I tried with changing the version number. And i am using the same certificate.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Colin is correct. When you publish on an Android app directly to a device from Flash, it deletes the old version and then installs the new one. You can actually see this happen. If you have the app drawer open with the screen on and publish the app from Flash, you will see the app disappear from your device and a few seconds later the new one will appear.

Another way you could install the app while keeping the data is to just have Flash create the .apk file and install it manually on your device

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that testing from Flash will overwrite everything, but that an app store update would leave the data intact. You could put the app into Google Play beta, and try that for yourself. Or just go ahead and publish, and hope that I'm, right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin is correct. When you publish on an Android app directly to a device from Flash, it deletes the old version and then installs the new one. You can actually see this happen. If you have the app drawer open with the screen on and publish the app from Flash, you will see the app disappear from your device and a few seconds later the new one will appear.

Another way you could install the app while keeping the data is to just have Flash create the .apk file and install it manually on your device or use Colin's method of putting it as a beta/alpha on the Play Store. Be aware that if you are wanting to make your app paid for, you cannot first make it free.

One manual installation options include publishing the apk and then moving it to your device while it connected like a USB device(Windows) or use the Android File Transfer app(Mac) and you would need a File Manager app on the device to "open" the app which will trigger the install prompt.

What I do, because my apps are mostly code and are small in file, is utilize Dropbox. I have all my project folders backed up with Dropbox, so whenever I publish a new .apk file, I download the new file on my phone from Dropbox and install it from the Downloads app and it just prompts you to update the one currently installed.

All manual install options will require having the Security -> Unknown Sources option checked. I can't remember if it applies to the developer of the app, but beta/alpha apps on the Play Store require either a Google+ Community or Google Group created in order to test it and anyone in the community/group can download and test the app. But of course, you can restrict the groups to invite only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for the quick replay. I copied the app to the android device and used a file explorer to install it. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are most welcome. I am glad it worked out for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines