Highlighted

How to restore audio in iOS 8 (beta 5) after requesting mic access?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this question over on StackOverflow before realizing that the AIR team might be working on a fix: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25168882/air4-how-to-restore-audio-in-ios-8-beta-5-after-requesti...

In a nutshell, requesting microphone input in iOS 8 will terminate all audio if it's done AFTER a sound has already been played, but not if it occurs before (sample code is in SO post).

Apps were tested using an iPad 3 the Flex 4.6.0 SDK with AIR 4.0, and with AIR 14.0 - the same behaviour was exhibited.

This poses serious problems for our apps, which are already released and being updated for iOS 8, so please let me know if this is a known issue, and if not, whether you're able to confirm from your side.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to restore audio in iOS 8 (beta 5) after requesting mic access?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted this question over on StackOverflow before realizing that the AIR team might be working on a fix: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25168882/air4-how-to-restore-audio-in-ios-8-beta-5-after-requesti...

In a nutshell, requesting microphone input in iOS 8 will terminate all audio if it's done AFTER a sound has already been played, but not if it occurs before (sample code is in SO post).

Apps were tested using an iPad 3 the Flex 4.6.0 SDK with AIR 4.0, and with AIR 14.0 - the same behaviour was exhibited.

This poses serious problems for our apps, which are already released and being updated for iOS 8, so please let me know if this is a known issue, and if not, whether you're able to confirm from your side.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 06, 2014 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had noticed the issue in iOS 8, but it's also an issue in iOS 7. The main difference is that iOS 7 recovers. If you start getting samples from the microphone, stop, null the microphone, and then play a new sound, the first couple of seconds of the sound is not heard. If I could figure out a cure for iOS 7 it might help iOS 8 too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I've done that in my test code (see SO post), but it doesn't seem to make a difference?

I assumed that the brief interrupt in iOS 7 was while AIR was connecting to the device itself (taking ~600 to 2000ms) but in any case, that's not the behaviour that's causing me problems here!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 0
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another bit of info, in my app I check for the microphone ahead of when it's needed, to provoke the permissions dialog (rather than waiting for the time when the recording is due to start). So, the sequence of events is:

intro audio phrase external MP3

check mic

play an intro FLV

Even the FLV's audio start is lost. So, not just to do with playing MP3s.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly the same flow on our side - interesting to know that it's FLV as well.

My problem remains, though: in iOS 8, if I play a sound (via MP3, SWF, etc) and then check the mic, all further sound in the application stops indefinitely until I close/reopen the app. Since we need to record audio at various times in the app, this will cause a major problem for our users!

I've added a bug in the hopes that someone can verify the problem: Bug#3801262 - Requesting microphone access in iOS 8 (beta 5) terminates all further audio

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 0
Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added note in support of the bug report.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 06, 2014 2