Exit

iOS Icon sizes: Descriptions differ in documentations

Advocate ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have 2 questions regarding icon sizes in the latest Air 28 SDK:

1) The release notes for Air 28 state that all icon sizes in the assets.car file should also be included in the application descriptor, except the 1024x1024 version. This includes the 180x180 icon size. However the documentation for icon sizes does not mention a 180x180 icon: Adobe AIR * Application icons. Should it be included anyway?

2) What happened to previous icon sizes that are no longer mentioned in the documentation at https://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WS901d38e593cd1bac1e63e3d129907d2886-8000.html​? For example 66x66, 87x87 and 144x144 have been mentioned in previous versions of the documentation but they no longer appear. Can we assume that they were needed for older iOS versions and that we no longer need them in Air28?

Thanks,

Ruben

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this. We are looking into it.

Regarding packaging the icons of sizes 75, 87, 144 and 180, Yes, you need to package these icons in your application.

Thanks,

Pravishti | Adobe AIR Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Icon sizes like 180, 87, 144 are mentioned at Adobe AIR * Application icons​. You need to package the icons mentioned on this page using the icon tag in app-xml.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pravishti,

thanks for your response. You are right, the icons 75, 87, 144 and 180 are mentionend in the first table, apparently I missed this. But they do not appear in the second table under "Icons on iOS". So at least one of the two tables seems outdated. Should we include 75, 87, 144 and 180 in Air 28?

Thanks in advance,

Ruben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this. We are looking into it.

Regarding packaging the icons of sizes 75, 87, 144 and 180, Yes, you need to package these icons in your application.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the new icons to my project, but when I deploy to my local iPad, the App does not have an icon.

I've looked in the list and have added every icon that was listed as being required (as I didnt have some like 29x29 as they didn't seem to be needed on modern iOS devices), but I made icons for every single one of them...

And, it still does not display the icon.

Can someone (apart from Adobe) confirm they can get the icon to display for them.

BTW. I'm using an iPad 4 running the latest version of iOS 11.2

The icons were (are) still working fine in AIR 27, but I'm having issues with StageWebView so thought updating to AIR 28 may fix some of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

For iOS 11 and onwards, you need to package Assets.car along with your swf and xml for icons to be visible on the device. For the steps on how to make Assets.car, please refer Release Notes Flash Player 28 AIR 28​.

Let us know if you face any issues.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using AIR 27 with iOS 11 and didn't have to package anything any different to iOS 10,

The icons worked fine.

If I switch back to AIR27 the icon displays OK

However, if AIR 28 requires different packaging, I'll need to do whats required.

BTW. Is there an update to Adobe animate to handle this. I've not checked, but I don't think the Adobe update manager has not notified me that there is an update for this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There's no update in Adobe Animate for this. You need to package Assets.car like any other resource so you can add it to the list of items to be packaged in Animate also.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like a complete hack to me

i.e create a dummy app, then hack some assets from inside it then somehow hack it into the XML file ????

Where is the documentation about updating the XML file.

Your link to https://help.apple.com/xcode/mac/current/#/dev4b0ebb1bb  is completely useless, as it just deals with adding an icon in XCode and not how to add it to the App XML

I my experience Adobe Animate seems to modify the App XML and remove sections it does not recognise, so I'm already having to lock the app-xml file to prevent it removing the TestFlight code

Is there no other way to add the icons, without a Mac running  OSX Sierra  (or possibly High Sierra) and XCode 9.

I don't have Mac hardware that supports this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Assets.car file is a new requirement by Apple and there is nothing that Adobe can do about this. If you have complaints, you should address Apple directly. Your post is just a rant, really. Yes it got worse, that's how Apple usually handles things. Deal with it..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its a rant, but how are developers using Adobe Animate on the PC supposed to produce iOS apps using AIR28 ?

I'll revert back to using AIR27 until Adobe updates ADT to support generation the necessary package files to support iOS11 SDK on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need assets.car witch is required by apple ios 11.

You can use assets.car online

Generate ios、android app ICON and Assets.car online

Generate ios、android app ICON and Assets.car online

Generate ios、android app ICON and Assets.car,include all Icon size ,support all ios version include ios11 reqired Assets.car and appstore icon and all android version

Android usage:Copy icon files in Android dir to your android project

IOS usage:copy icons in ios to ios project and edit Info.plist,copy Assets.car to root dir of ios project,config Info.plist set CFBundleIconName value AppIcon
<key>CFBundleIconName</key>
<string>AppIcon</string>

Upload Image:Require size 1024x1024 png or jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines