• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone5 splash screens broken in Air 15 & 16 Beta?

Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying to release an app update, but have run into the following problem.

The splash screen on the iPhone5 running iOS8.1(12B411) doesn't load correctly (other devices seem to have no issues).

On the previous version of Air that I was using this worked fine (might have been version 14, I don't quite remember).

The splash screen first only half appears on the screen. Then it appears rotated by 90 degrees and stretched to fit the screen at the wrong rotation. The then loads normally.

This happened when I was compiling with "11/11/2014 - Release - AIR 15 Runtime and SDK", so I updated to "11/18/2014 - Beta - AIR 16.0.0.222 Runtime and SDK" with the new Flash Player 16 and I'm still encountering the same problem.

I haven't changed any of my splash screen/launch images from the last version of my app that I released over a year ago in Sept, 1013.

Is anyone else seeing this issue. It's impacting my ability to release an important update before Christmas in conjunction with some marketing and promotional things that are timed for the release.

These are all the splash screen files that are included in my app build :

Default-568h@2x.png

Default-Landscape.png

Default-Landscape@2x~ipad.png

Default-LandscapeLeft.png

Default-LandscapeLeft@2x~ipad.png

Default-LandscapeRight.png

Default-LandscapeRight@2x~ipad.png

Default-Portrait.png

Default-Portrait@2x~ipad.png

Default-PortraitUpsideDown.png

Default-PortraitUpsideDown@2x~ipad.png

Default.png

Default@2x.png

Default@2x~ipad.png

Thanks

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Why are you pointing to a particular SDK, instead of letting AIR do the build using the SDK it includes?

You seem to be including a lot of splash screens that are not needed, unless you have different versions of the screen for different orientations. These are the ones needed:

Default.png

Default@2x.png

Default-568h@2x.png

Default-Landscape.png

Default-Landscape@2x.png

If you want to support iPhone 6 and 6 plus you could include these ones:

Default-375w-667h@2x.png

Default-414w-736h-landscape@3x.png

Defa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried rolling back to older versions of AIR, but the problem still persists.

I'm starting to suspect this issue got introduced with the iPhoneOS8.1.sdk.

I intentionally did not update to Xcode6 when I updated to Yosemite as I wanted to keep building using the iPhoneOS7.sdk that was working fine for me.

Unfortunately my Mac had other ideas and decided to update to XCode6 in the background without my permission.

I found this out when my builds started failing to find the iPhoneOS7.sdk (which got removed when Xcode updated itself) and had to point them to iPhoneOS8.1.sdk instead.

My app is also a landscape only app, which I believe may also be a contributing factor as a number of people working with Unity seem to be encountering a similar issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to possibly work around this issue?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you pointing to a particular SDK, instead of letting AIR do the build using the SDK it includes?

You seem to be including a lot of splash screens that are not needed, unless you have different versions of the screen for different orientations. These are the ones needed:

Default.png

Default@2x.png

Default-568h@2x.png

Default-Landscape.png

Default-Landscape@2x.png

If you want to support iPhone 6 and 6 plus you could include these ones:

Default-375w-667h@2x.png

Default-414w-736h-landscape@3x.png

Default-667h@2x.png

Default-Landscape-736h@3x.png

though I'm not positive about the names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response!

I started pointing to SDKs back when ANE support first came out and it was required to point to the OS5.1 sdk in order to get ANEs to work.

I had been specifying the sdk ever since, since it had been working for me, even though it was no longer needed.

I just tried removing that and letting AIR take care of using the right SDK and it seems to have solved my screen rotation issue!

Thank you so much for that!

I do have a lot of splash screens. Again I think this was left over from when I started using AIR back in 2011. At that point in order to get the splash screens working correctly I ended up having to add all the different versions. However, I'd love to get rid of most of them as they bloat my app size. I'll try removing most of them and do some testing to ensure everything works fine now without them. Although I suspect I should still also need the Default@2x~ipad.png

Thanks again for your help!

Craig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Default-Landscape@2x.png takes care of the iPad Retina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines