• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Flash Builder 4.7 being maintained anymore?

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2014 Nov 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One year ago I opened a bug case on a simple regression issue that popped up in Flash Builder 4.7. The Adobe support desk person confirmed that they had recreated the issue, but soon thereafter vanished from the face of the Earth.

After a while I got desperate for an update and on a monthly basis would post information on fictitious software developers that were being fired from my company until the issue was resolved:

Bug#3667951 - Flash Builder 4.7 Will Not Embed .svg Files

Once a year had past, I decided to open up a bug case on the faultiness of the Adobe bugbase itself:

Bug#3852193 - The Adobe Bugbase Doesn't Work

Is it normal for the Adobe support staff to simply stop responding to bug postings?! (and as you will see, the silence began before I started my monthly updates).

Was my behavior unacceptable and if so, what should have my approach been?

More importantly, is Flash Builder 4.7 still being maintained? While my posts were supposed to be comical in nature, there is an underlying anguish that is absolutely real. I have a product whose packaging and deployment that relies on Flash Builder.

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Statement from Chris Campbell about Flash Builder on the last Flash Online Conference was that he believes they will fix major bugs but we should not expect actual progress on the tool itself because Adobe feels that the community creates better tools on their own. So I would recommend looking into alternatives. I myself am using FlashDevelop (free, Windows only), colleagues are working with FDT or Idea IntelliJ (both of them crossplatform & commercial).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Statement from Chris Campbell about Flash Builder on the last Flash Online Conference was that he believes they will fix major bugs but we should not expect actual progress on the tool itself because Adobe feels that the community creates better tools on their own. So I would recommend looking into alternatives. I myself am using FlashDevelop (free, Windows only), colleagues are working with FDT or Idea IntelliJ (both of them crossplatform & commercial).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Poltergeist,

Thank's kindly for your help and suggestions. I have since purchased FDT and am very pleased with it. Creating a modular air application (with multiple compiled swfs/actionscript workers in the same project) was a bit more tedious with FDT; however, I can see that overall it is a much more flexible and powerful IDE than FB.

I feel that FB is a good IDE and has a lot of potential, but at some point it seemed to be abandoned by Adobe. What a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines