Highlighted

Is there any way using DatagramSocket class to send an ICMP echo (ping) request?

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would surely like to do a PING from inside my Adobe AIR product. It would solve a lot of monitoring problems.

But evidently a ICMP echo request uses a different TCP header value than UDP or TCP. I see we have a socket class for TCP, a DatagramSocket class for UDP, but evidently there is no apparent way to ping a server. I guess the powers at adobe think this power is inadvisable for mortals? Too bad, because i need to ping some servers on a monitoring program i am writing. I will have to find some other way of detecting life at the other end. Does anyone know of a native extension available that wold do the PING for iOS and Android? I have a very small mobile app i am developing whose purpose is to check on the status of some servers, and an ICMP ping request is just what the doctor ordered. I guess I could write some C program to relay the ping, but that seems silly.

Adobe has done such a good job of giving us additional power in AIR, a shame that we can't get to ICMP ....!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Is there any way using DatagramSocket class to send an ICMP echo (ping) request?

Participant ,
Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would surely like to do a PING from inside my Adobe AIR product. It would solve a lot of monitoring problems.

But evidently a ICMP echo request uses a different TCP header value than UDP or TCP. I see we have a socket class for TCP, a DatagramSocket class for UDP, but evidently there is no apparent way to ping a server. I guess the powers at adobe think this power is inadvisable for mortals? Too bad, because i need to ping some servers on a monitoring program i am writing. I will have to find some other way of detecting life at the other end. Does anyone know of a native extension available that wold do the PING for iOS and Android? I have a very small mobile app i am developing whose purpose is to check on the status of some servers, and an ICMP ping request is just what the doctor ordered. I guess I could write some C program to relay the ping, but that seems silly.

Adobe has done such a good job of giving us additional power in AIR, a shame that we can't get to ICMP ....!

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 04, 2015 0
dqh360 LATEST
Participant ,
Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try measuring the connection time of a TCP socket as a workaround.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 05, 2015 0